1st time 'dispute' on ebay, opinions needed.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Tech Mentor Luconia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    KCH, SWK, MYS
    Posts
    465

    Default 1st time 'dispute' on ebay, opinions needed.

    Long story short, I have won a bid on one unit of 1210mk2 from the UK.
    Seller shipped the item to me via UPS, but the table arrived in a pretty bad condition.
    Notified the seller & send him some pics..seller agrees to sort it out with UPS.
    And this is what i get,

    Hi there, I've just had an email from UPS. They don't normally pay out in cases like this, but as I send a large amount of items with them, they have offered 45 as a token gesture. I haven't accepted yet, as I thought I'd run it past you first. Let me know. Best regards,
    Basically it's half of the shipping price. The seller has a high rating & seems polite though.
    So what should i reply to the seller, is this the fair amount to accept from damaged/item not as described case (well the ebay protection policy covers up until 150 anyway..)

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2

    Default

    What exactly is in bad condition? Tonearm bent? case all scuffed up?

    The real question is, how different is the received item from the one pictured in the auction?

  3. #3
    RGAS Guru Xonetacular's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,027

    Default

    That sounds like a load of BS, I've never heard of UPS giving away small amounts of money as a "token gesture". From your other post the seller packed it like an idiot, it's his fault not UPSs, don't settle for crap and honestly I wouldn't believe a word he says about UPS offering "45 as a token gesture".

    He packed it poorly, it's his responsibility, make him pay up for the actual cost of repairs/replacement parts. I sold a pair of 1200s on ebay a few months ago and the buyer had an issue where an internal wire got unplugged during shipping, I could have walked him over the phone to fix it in 20 seconds since a connector just came loose and I knew the problem when he told me. I also told him to send the one back and I would fix it or replace it and send him a knew on the next day and pay all expenses. He wasn't interested and wanted a refund, so I ate the $100 in shipping costs and gave him a full refund just because I didn't want to piss him off and go through the dispute process since I know what it's like to feel screwed as a buyer and he had leverage over me if he filed a dispute and I didn't want to go through that.

    You have a lot of power as a buyer in the dispute process and can open a dispute with paypal (when you do it through paypal it will send his account in the negative for the transaction) and ebay/paypal can force him to give you a full refund (including the cost of shipping) you just would have to send it back. He knows this too, buyers almost have too much power in the dispute process and you can file a dispute and tie up his funds and send his balance in the negative and he would work with you real quick then.

    Don't let him run you around making it look like it's in UPS's hands, this has nothing to do with UPS- take pictures of how he packed it, even without pics you will win the dispute process if you want a refund- tell him it's his responsibility for poorly packing it and if he is not willing to pay full cost of the repairs you will return it to him. There's nothing he can do to stop you, you will get a full refund, and the last thing he wants is to deal with a return on a broken item.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 05-04-2012 at 10:07 AM.


  4. #4
    Tech Mentor Luconia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    KCH, SWK, MYS
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Thanks Xone for the in-depth suggestion!

    Well i think i have posted his replies on packaging in your thread the other day & explained on how it's done, but for the benefit of this thread i'll post it again.

    Hi there. I'm really disappointed to read this. I don't use fragile stickers, I used to, but it seemed to make virtually no difference, and sometimes seemed to actively encourage courier staff to abuse the parcels. Yours was the 3rd 1210 I've sold and sent in the previous 6 months, and the other 2 arrived in perfect condition. I'm really very sorry this has happened to you. Please send me some photos of the damage, and I'll contact UPS & make a claim against them, then I can send you a partial refund for the repairs.

    Sorry for your disappointment, believe me I share it just as deeply.

    Best regards
    I can't link back the auction page since it was ended. but here's some photo of the said damage done to the casing, i believe was inflicted by sharp edges from broken cover. Oh btw, the cover was already broken at one hinge during the auction but nothing too severe...he has fix it with superglue & all looks mint in the ads.
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q...mgirl/1210mk2/

    The repairs/repainting could cost as much as the turntable itself, as i'm still not sure about the tonearm condition. I'm disappointed to see the overall appearance of the deck & only managed to power it up for a while but forgot to properly set it up to my system & actually play vinyl on it.
    The seller accept returns but i'm not going to do this, means that i'll be reduced to 1 turntable after searching for so long hence decided to do the refurbishment or the deck will get even more damage on it's way back (i have to pay for return shipping). Not guaranteed on full refund either...

    Now that i have dismantled everything off that table, successfully unstuck the tonearm (apparently a well known problem after some research but the seller didn't notify this in his auction, only stated about the broken dust cover).

    I'm yet to file a dispute against this seller through ebay procedures, hold on the negative rating.
    What should i do now? This deck are already dismantled & ready to be refurb & no way i would reassemble them back & returned it over. Later he will claim that i've tampered with the item & wont be entitled to any refund at all.

  5. #5
    Tech Mentor Luconia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    KCH, SWK, MYS
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
    What exactly is in bad condition? Tonearm bent? case all scuffed up?

    The real question is, how different is the received item from the one pictured in the auction?
    I have mentioned it all here
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthr...l=1#post468268

  6. #6
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Aside from the broken cover, turntable looks fine. Old, a bit battered - but clearly you are not suggesting that the in ability to unlock the lift on the tonearm is due to UPS?

    That is something that happens from YEARS of being in a dirty, dark, smokey nightclub - not in a parcel post truck.

  7. #7
    RGAS Guru Xonetacular's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luconia View Post
    I'm yet to file a dispute against this seller through ebay procedures, hold on the negative rating.
    What should i do now? This deck are already dismantled & ready to be refurb & no way i would reassemble them back & returned it over. Later he will claim that i've tampered with the item & wont be entitled to any refund at all.
    Ok don't leave him negative feedback, that's pointless. DO file a dispute through ebay. Just reassemble the table he won't know the difference unless you really mess something up, and even if you did it won't matter. It's his own damn fault and he is clearly dishonest about the sale. File a dispute with ebay and go throught he formal process and say you want a refund. Don't take no for an answer and he CAN'T stop you from sending it back and giving a refund, ebay will forcibly take the funds from his account and give you a refund as long as you go through the process right through ebay and send it back as it was sent and get a tracking number. As soon as it is sent back after 5 days even if he doesn't want to ebay will refund you and send his account in the negative. Take pictures of everything as you pack it to send it back as proof so he can't say you sent back a box of bricks.

    Don't get walked on or let him run you around, he had his chance to make it right now send it back but only contact him officially through the ebay dispute center and just escalate to get a refund. I would do this just on principle since he tried and is trying to screw you. He might try to twist it around and make you think you can't get a refund but escalate it and it's not his choice, I promise you will get a refund whether he likes it or not as long as you do it right and be assertive.


  8. #8
    Tech Guru kooper1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    2,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ok don't leave him negative feedback, that's pointless. DO file a dispute through ebay. Just reassemble the table he won't know the difference unless you really mess something up, and even if you did it won't matter. It's his own damn fault and he is clearly dishonest about the sale. File a dispute with ebay and go throught he formal process and say you want a refund. Don't take no for an answer and he CAN'T stop you from sending it back and giving a refund, ebay will forcibly take the funds from his account and give you a refund as long as you go through the process right through ebay and send it back as it was sent and get a tracking number. As soon as it is sent back after 5 days even if he doesn't want to ebay will refund you and send his account in the negative. Take pictures of everything as you pack it to send it back as proof so he can't say you sent back a box of bricks.

    Don't get walked on or let him run you around, he had his chance to make it right now send it back but only contact him officially through the ebay dispute center and just escalate to get a refund. I would do this just on principle since he tried and is trying to screw you. He might try to twist it around and make you think you can't get a refund but escalate it and it's not his choice, I promise you will get a refund whether he likes it or not as long as you do it right and be assertive.
    All of this. DO NOT accept it in this condition and let him get away with it. As said above eBay will look after you on this one. I know you are desperate for another turntable but patience is a virtue. It will all come good.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

  9. #9
    Tech Mentor kamjongill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Yea, don't settle, in the end, you'll be much happier.
    http://soundcloud.com/kamcoolidge

    VCI-400 EGE - Macbook Pro 13" - Traktor Pro 2 - Lots of Lights

  10. #10
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    219

    Default

    I had the same thing happen with a computer tower (no MB/CPU etc just the tower) and the seller tried to do partial refund and made up loads of crap. It was a simple as contacting Ebay and I had my refund soon after.

    Send it back. As others have said, Ebay/Paypal is on YOUR side. Trust.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •