Custom 1200/1210 w/built in dicer (new) - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

It looks like this:

Before sanding back strobe dots:

and after:

White platters look nice - but they are gonna get grimy as hell...
    Last edited by Patch; 05-06-2012 at 02:37 AM.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Nice thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    My only concern is this - when you attach your Dicers like I do, using the attached DJ putty, you get an added element of "dampening", meaning you can really smash those buttons without having the needle skip. It's like having shocks fitted to the bottom of the Dicer.

This would be lost if you mounted them IN the TT. I'd also be a *little* worried (not much, though) about losing some of the height on the buttons. This is only the case if the aluminium case of the 1200's/1210's is any thicker than the plastic casings of the dicers...
    the 'str8' tone arm helps a LOT for anti skip, therers a guy on my fb thats fitted straight tonearms onto his techs and says he has never had his needle skip after rigourous testing,

custom fabrication glass tube with a led inside
    http://instagr.am/p/KQKaJZiINa/

DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by djlotus View Post
    I would argue the craftsmanship is so-so. They were worked over by the guys at pimpmydecks.com. Spray paint with pin stripes hardly qualifies as good work. Add onto that every damn mod they offer and aside from Dicer integration they are the ugliest decks ever.
    Well I'm proud if I manage to spray something one colour without streaks in it so I'm pretty impressed :P
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

The built-in dicer is a great idea. Other than that though Jazzy Jeff's tables are ugly as shit. I don't even get the idea of tricking out your DJ gear for a sports team -- shouldn't you be doing that with a baseball bat or something? Either way though those are horribly ugly, and I much prefer the dicer in the pic on p1 of this thread, built into the table but not completely covered by the faceplate; it just looks wrong built in the way Jazzy Jeff does it. Maybe it's that awful gloss on the paint job that has me annoyed by it; the reflection is particularly bad right around the dicer in the photo.

However, the built in soundcard on the mixer is also great idea; I wonder how hard that sort of mod is. What is that button next to the tonearm on his turntables? Is that standard on the M5G or is that some other mod?

Lotus looking forward to seeing yours!

Edit - as for skipping, you can pretty much pound the crap out of dicers without skipping as it is. Maybe there is a bit more potential for it if it's sunken in like that but seems it would be easy to cushion if so. But yeah you shouldn't be pounding them anyway; they respond pretty well to simple tapping. And straight tonearms may improve skip resistance but so does a lighter touch on the record! Much cheaper AND won't ruin your vinyl.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Guru

The switch on Jeff's decks by the tonearm is a switch to turn on/off all the extra LED mods they installed.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

I dont agree with sport themed gear, but that's me not being a huge sports fan. But the OP's dicer setup looks cleaner to me and I feel like if you're really getting into it with the jazzy dicer mod the buttons might stick under the faceplate? never used dicers so I dunno how much they push down and such. either way nice mod OP and that Jazzy setup is sick minus the paint....now a star wars themed setup is where it would be at
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Tech Wizard

My solution is nowhere near as cool as these mods, but I wanted to share my experience:

I've got some beat-up old Technics with those metal turntable covers on them. One thing about these (all the ones I've seen anyway) is that they cover up the 45 adapter hole.

I looked into custom faceplates for 1200s with the Dicer holes already drilled in them. I found some for sale for $300, and after some investigation I came to realize that to put the Dicers inside a 1200, you have to do surgery on some of the internal insulation in addition to either buying faceplates or doing extensive metalwork on your own. I decided that wasn't worthwhile for me.

I tried velcro for awhile, basically I got the 2-part stuff with adhesive backing and put the "male" on the turntable and the "female" on the bottom of the dicers. I wasn't crazy about this because it was bulky and kind of "squishy" in use, and after awhile the corners on the velcro started peeling up.

Then I found some little round neodymium magnets that measure 10mm in diameter by 1mm in height. This is about the size of the (3) little rubber foot pads on the bottom of the Dicer. I took off the rubber feet and superglued the magnets to the dicer. This sticks it on really nicely.
    I was concerned about a few things:

1) The possibility of the magnets damaging my hard drive. A google search debunked that possibility.
    2) The possibility of the magnets interfering with record tracking. No problems with that so far, though I would like to test it more before I'd call myself certain.
    3) The possibility of the magnets interfering with the Dicer's operation. No problems with that, as all the metallic parts are on a single PCB. (If there were metal contacts on the buttons I might have a problem).

So, this turned out to be the best solution for me.
    Last edited by ryansupak; 10-09-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Well I'm proud if I manage to spray something one colour without streaks in it so I'm pretty impressed :P
    In that last picture of his where the light's hitting the table, it looks like they didn't even bother to wet sand. All I see is orange peel. Such killer gear, but it looks awfully tacky with the second rate paint job.

Quote Originally Posted by ryansupak View Post
    2) The possibility of the magnets interfering with record tracking. No problems with that so far, though I would like to test it more before I'd call myself certain.
    How would that even be possible? If the magnets are even close to strong enough to pull the tonearm from where they'd sit, they're way too big.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast