Audio 6 or Audio 10?
    Tech Convert

Default Audio 6 or Audio 10?

Hi all!

So, I'm a bit confused and would really appreciate if somebody gave me some simple advice about this.

I've been DJing using CDJs for many years but I'm now interested in timecode CDs so I don't have to burn a bunch of CDs before every gig. So I want to buy a Traktor Scratch bundle, either the Audio 6 or the Audio 10.

I want to DJ using 2 CDJs with timecode for now. Later on I will probably be interested in adding a Kontrol X1 to the setup too.

So with my demands - is the Audio 6 enough?

Or to put it this way: In which case would I need the Audio 10 for example?

Audio 6.

As a CDJ user the audio6 will allow 3 decks of timecode CDs (or 2 decks + samples + recording).

The Audio10 is only advantageous if you wish to use more than this and even then I would recommend buying a second hand audio8 instead(sadly not in production any more). Why? Because the audio10 is not bus powered, it requires it's own separate power supply which is my eyes is a *huge* disadvantage.

What midi controller you wish to use has no effect on what soundcard you should use so don't worry about the X1!

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by MrPopinjay; 05-04-2012 at 08:17 PM.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Convert

Thanks man. I really appreciate the info.

However, another guy told me that I need Audio 10 if wanting to use X1 for additional decks. Maybe a stupid question but let me ask again: I want to use two CDJs with timecode discs and a Macbook Pro running TSP. Plus I'd like to use an X1 in the future to search tracks and play some loops/samples from a 3rd deck in TSP. Can the Audio 6 handle that? Is there really enough audio in/outs?

Really appreciate the help!

Yes, the Audio 6 can do this. The Audio 6 has 3 stereo pairs. The first two you would use for decks A and B with your CDJs, the final remaining stereo pair you would use for decks C and D in sample deck mode

Tech Convert

Thanks man, that sounds good. And will save me some bucks compared to Audio 10.

Do you use it yourself? Is it "safe" to use Traktor Scratch at gigs btw? I got a little worried when reading all the threads about the distortion sound appearing to people using the audio interfaces. That would ruin a gig :-S

I used to use Traktor Scratch, I now use xwax. Traktor is perfectly stable and many high profile DJs use it for all their gigs- you can certainly rely on it.

If people are suffering from poor quality sound they most likely have set it up incorrectly. When you use Traktor (or any audio software for that matter) ensure you have the correct drivers installed for your audio interface, ensure that your buffer size/latency is large enough for your system (just plays lots of decks and clips while using effects and start at the lowest value and increase it until all pops and clicks go away) and turn down the master output in the software to ensure that you never clip your audio or activate the shitty traktor limiter.

Low quality audio is not the norm with traktor.

Anything else dude?

Tech Convert

Good advice! Looked up xwax, must be stable running Linux

Then I think I'm all set. Will order Traktor Scratch with Audio 6 now so I have it for next weeks gig. Then there's only the huge job with making all my tracks in my CD case available in the Traktor Library!

Well, one more question now that you've been so helpful :P Can I use Traktor Scratch with mp3 files stored on an external hard drive connected to my Macbook? Or should I try to make space on the internal drive?

Yeah xwax is swell. The requirements are *tiny*. No expensive macbooks for me! :P

You can use an external drive fine. You'll probably want to have traktor analyse the tracks in advance though as it can take forever. Also have some music on the laptop in case your hard drive decides not to work just before a gig! Also, still bring a few CDs in case of a total laptop failure.
    Last edited by MrPopinjay; 05-05-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Tech Convert

Just wanted to make an update: Used the Traktor Scratch A6 during two gigs already and I love it! I really won't miss burning all those CDs. I brought my CD case just in case but didn't use it

Glad to hear dude!