Boy do I need help, NEW stuff, dont know what to do with it -__-
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Boy do I need help, NEW stuff, dont know what to do with it -__-

Hey all, I am extremely new to DJ'ing but I saw "grooveboston" and ever since then I know what I want out of life. youtube it... you wont regret it.

I went out and bought a DENON DN-MC6000 and I got it set up and working great, but I also got a Novation launchpad, its doing some funky stuff to my mixer and I really don't know how to change it.

First things first, I'm running VDJ with my 6000 but I'm using Ableton with the launchpad, thing is I don't even know how to use the launchpad in the first place, all that I have is the top few buttons lit up, Ive watched tutorials on youtube and none of them seem to answer my question.

I guess my biggest questions are:

1) how the heck to I get the launchpad to work with virtual DJ, or does it at all?
    2) if not, how do I get Ableton to the screen where I can actually start using my launchpad (Seriously, I'm pretty tech savvy but this makes me feel like a caveman.)
    3) If I have launchpad open would it make the Denon not work? I'm assuming that its a "config" issue, but when i had them both plugged into my computer I'd go to play a song on VDJ using the Denon MC-6000 but it literally went through a 4 minute song in 5 seconds, like super light speed fast forward.

I'm guessing that I need to set up ableton and VDJ in tandem somehow, that way I can use the launchpad as an audio input, and the 6000 as an input too, while using just the 6000 as the output to the speakers.

I am extremely greatfull for all the responses that I'm sure I'll get.

Semper Fidelis - Chris

1) how the heck to I get the launchpad to work with virtual DJ, or does it at all? : You find a mapping i found a great mapping on somewhere i think it was here. You can't just have a launchpad thats made for ableton

Heres the mapping : http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=44387

2): I think you need someway to (whats the word called "route, run") that connects both program i know there is one for traktor, but that won't help you.

3: Sometimes even its not mapped it will do stupid things : Example when i first got my launchpad and it wasent mappend if i clicked a button like the up down arrows it would turn on scratch and play the song.

edit on #2 "if not, how do I get Ableton to the screen where I can actually start using my launchpad (Seriously, I'm pretty tech savvy but this makes me feel like a caveman.) " i thought you where talking about vdj and ableton but to make it with ableton you should plug in - and there will be a plug in on the sidebar that says plug in and turn your input to "Launchpad"
    Last edited by Childrenatplay; 05-05-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Tech Guru

1) You have to map the launchpad to virtual dj..otherwise it wont work (for ableton it already comes premapped with the software it comes with)
    2) If you open ableton with your launchpad plugged in it should work already I would think, but not sure
    3) Did you think maybe it went fast because the tempo was up for whatever reason?

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the reply!

the first thing I did was check the tempo and it was 128.00 just like it was supposed to be, but it just blew through the song, and there was no sound.

ill try to open ableton with it plugged in, i read that i was supposed to plug it in after ableton was open.

howw do i map the launchpad to vdj and will it do the same type of thing if i use vdj rather than ableton?

thanks!

Tech Wizard

@ childrenatplay thanks for that map... im going to sound like an idiot but what do i do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by laneo View Post
    @ childrenatplay thanks for that map... im going to sound like an idiot but what do i do with it?
    Trust me i wish i asked like you i spent months struggling with the launchpad and learning about mapping! Remeber always ask questions even though it sounds stupid (which it dosn't) well download the mapping then there will be a "README" in there and it will give you directions, but ill explain it a little bit further

Download mapping > Go to my documents and go to "virtual dj" > "mappers" others is called "devices" Drag the .tsi file for mapper into mapper and other one in devies > go to "Readme" file to know which one and perfect instructions

Edit :+ i added a video for #2 question

Tech Wizard

yea that video is very familiar Thanks, Ill try and get back to you.

Tech Wizard

"edited"

If i have the launchpad mapped to VDJ i can get rid of ableton?

now i opened vdj and its playing but theres no sound... and i checked my faders and knobs...
    :/ what did i do
    Last edited by laneo; 05-05-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Tech Wizard

i just unplugged the launchpad and now the sound is back... weird... does the mapping make the launchpad the primary volume control?

look at the mapping pictures the 3rd one is sound make sure there all up or use your mouse to maul turn the knobs on the software

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast