Question about mixing on the fly..
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Question about mixing on the fly..

When mixing on the fly, how do you guys time the bars perfectly? Not all songs have the breakdowns and build ups exactly the same, so how do you guys mix it so they match up perfectly? Phrasing my songs is the biggest problem I'm having. I mean I guess I can set up cue point and and prep for a mix but having a whole mix planned takes the fun out of it for me.

Tech Mentor

Its all about knowing your songs. Take the time to listen to your collection before playing out and keep a mental note of different parts of tunes that stand out. Things I would note are : BPM switches, Vocal samples, percussion changes, beat patterns, and sudden breakdowns. If youre using software like Traktor, write some notes in the comment section. For example: Long intro, breakbeat pattern @ 2:10, lots of vocal stabs.

You need to know that EDM has changes every 4 - 8 - 16 - 32 bars. So if the breakdown of a song comes in 16 bars after the intro, and you want it to mix with the breakdown of another song, start the other song 16 bars before the intro. Pretty easy.

Kind of on that topic, How do you find '16 bars before the intro' in traktor?
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

As they say, house music, and music in general, is a feeling. You should be able to feel when the track is going through it's arrangement and be able to pick up on those little audio cues. It doesn't always have to mix from breakdown to breakdown.

Short of it, we are able to match them perfectly because we grew an appreciation for the music first and listened to the music and mixes an ungodly amount before we even thought about buying turntables and a mixer.

That's like asking someone how the brake pedal works on a car and when do you know how to brake. You just have to get a feel for it.

well if you don't know the tracks, and sometime you forget, like I so often do when drinking. I just put it in on the correct phase 32 beats. I can usually feel it. When I'm ready to mix out in a new track Im just pretty much sitting there prepared to change over. Additionally I wait for key moments to swap basses, bring in mid prior to the end of the phase so that if i'm surprised its really minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by JulianVeloso View Post
    You need to know that EDM has changes every 4 - 8 - 16 - 32 bars.
    Close, but not true, as some have an extra bar here and there that can mess up your phrasing if you're not paying attention.

Sometimes i'll mix builds into builds, but often one is longer than another and i when i feel i should press play i do, but when it comes to the drop, i'm often a bar or two out. Which sucks :P

Can you just skip or rewind 16/32 bars from a certain spot?
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by sparkbro View Post
    Kind of on that topic, How do you find '16 bars before the intro' in traktor?
    Find the intro or drop .. beatjump back 16bars and cue ... but thats not going to work if the outro of the previous track is 32 bars or 8, but it is a good guide.

In general beatjump can be handy to find tracks that don't start or drop on a regular beat. Wrong Guru (adam k) for example has an extra beat at the start which would screw you up if you are playing it for the first time and assuming it starts on the first beat of a bar.

tap your feet and count to 4.

failing that, add the "beats" counter to your deck view.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast