Good brand of paint for painting dj equipment
    Tech Student

Default Good brand of paint for painting dj equipment

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the who dj tech modding, so I want to start simple. I've never done it before so I want to start simple by painting some of my equipment. I don't want to ruin it either, and I want it to look good so I was wondering from your guys experience, what is a good kind of paint to get to use?

If this is for turntables and if you wan't to do a good job that will last years use automotive 2pac paint with a spray gun, paint in a can is air drying acrylic... It will only last a year or so if you prepare everything properly and quality of the spray is terrible as you cant easily manage the patchy air pressure of the can, and how thin the paint is, so you will end up with a job thats doth dry and runny, and forget buffing it to fix it.

If it's a one time job prepare and prime everything yourself then take it into an auto repair shop and get it done properly, it shouldn't cost much more than $100 for a basic color or metallic...

If this is something you will be looking at doing regularly you should invest in a small compressor and a small hobby gun if your going to use clearcoat, or a larger gut if your using enamel (solid color), it will probably cost $150 for decent enough gear...

For paint I used to love "DuPont" as it sprayed the best, it's hard wearing and has good coverage, "spartin" was always too thin for me... if you want wow factor of pearls, candy's and prism "color shift" paint you can't go past "House of Kolor".

If it's for a controller anything will do as they don't demand a propper job like technics do and you will probably replace the thing before the paint is a problem.

I have never painted turntables but 1000's of cars & motorbikes professionally... even a fridge once lol
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Mentor

if you're competent in your ability to take apart your gear, you have a few different options. Some metal parts can be powder coated, and a local powder coat shop might be able to paint your unit for 20-100 dollars. a powder coat finish on a dj unit will last you until retirement. as far as just spray painting goes, synthet1c has a point, spray paint sucks. you can make it work though. I would recommend rustoleum, but picking the right brand of paint is only the first step. make sure to prime your surface, use multiple coats of paint sprayed as evenly as possible, and use multiple coats of clear coat on top. make sure to buff the paint clean, and lightly sand each layer of paint before applying the next coat, and to do the same when it comes to the clear coat. it's more about investing the time and effort, versus finding the perfect paint.

Tech Student

Thanks for the responses guys, they are very helpful!

Tech Guru

For speaker cabinets or rack cases, Duratex is the best stuff out there.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

If you are doing plastic, krylon has a plastic paint called h2O that goes on real smooth, and is pretty durable. I was painting skateboards with it only because it is latex based, and went on smoother than the regular paint. Pretty easily stripped if you tire of it, but it lasts pretty long.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.