DJ software recommendations
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default DJ software recommendations

Hey everyone, I'm sorta New to this so my questions may sound elementary, so bear with me please

I am using VDJ, I want to switch to Traktor, I am using a Denon MC-6000, and hope to get a controller in the future.

What is the difference between Traktor Pro, Pro 2, LE 2 and I'm assuming I'm missing some, but that's all that I am aware of NI making.

Also, I have the chance to get the X1 for $150 on craigslist. good idea?

Thanks guys
    Be Good, Get Good, or Give Up - Greg House
    Denon DN MC-6000, Virtual DJ PRO, Launchpad, 2 - 12" harbinger powered speakers.

a. Whats wrong with the denon,
    b. whats wrong with vdj
    b. why do you want an x1 when the denon is 100x better.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

For the most flexibility, I'd say Traktor Pro 2.

The X1 is only a good choice depending on your workflow... while $150 is a good price, it may be worthless if your style doesn't need it.

And.. what Hoodless said too.

too slow
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

vdj has more flexibility that traktor, traktor is more user friendly at an intermediate level and the features are more excessible...

don't get caught up in the game of gear whoredom, if you need to ask why you need something, then you don't need it. You should also realize that midi controllers are "dumb" it's the software that's smart... the only difference in controllers imo is layout and quality... none of the kontrol series is built to last much longer than the warranty and there are no authorised service centers from what I have read, so if your set on an X1 you better off buying one new, the denon however is built to last and a better option than the X1 is the xone k2
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

hey

to also answer your question about the software, Traktor Pro 2 is the only one that exists now. Traktor Pro (1) upgraded to version 2 quite a while ago now, and LE has just been discontinued, with the users getting a free upgrade to Pro 2 as well.

So the only decision now is whether to just go for Traktor Pro 2 or Traktor Scratch Pro 2, the only difference being the second allows you hook up vinyl decks (through an appropriate sound card) to do timecode control.

k
    Last edited by kevinmcdonough; 05-09-2012 at 01:13 AM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
    For the most flexibility, I'd say Traktor Pro 2.

The X1 is only a good choice depending on your workflow... while $150 is a good price, it may be worthless if your style doesn't need it.

And.. what Hoodless said too.

Yea, I really dont see a need for it, yet, I just know it would open a door to do something cooler. seems like if I bought it that cheap, it'd be something I'd grow into.

thanks for the info guys.
    Denon DN MC-6000, Virtual DJ PRO, Launchpad, 2 - 12" harbinger powered speakers.

You have a launchpad! Get on the custom mapping hype!

I only got an X1 as I needed a controller with encoders (to control FX parameters) but the great thing about the launchpad is when you are bored with it; remap it!!
    | NI Traktor Scratch Pro 2.1.3 | Steinberg Cubase 7.0 | Yamaha HS80m Monitors | Oxygen 25 |
    | Allen & Heath Xone:62 | Pioneer CDJ 200 | NI Kontrol X1 | Novation Launchpad |

Facebook | Twitter | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Tech Wizard

thanks Gribble! sounds like a lot of fun!

I promised myself I wouldn't take it out until I learned the in's and out's of my 6000. but I might just end up breaking that promise haha.

I think I might wait until I get Traktor Pro 2 to bother with it. I can't seem to figure it out with VDJ.

mapping in vdj is a piece of cake, everything is understandable enough if you can read english and the wiki contains all you need to get started... You can use as many variables or modifiers as you like, you can chain complex macro's together and you have some powerful verbs traktor doesn't offer, these abilities make extra firmware and middleware redundant... vdj's mapping potential isn't limitless but in direct comparison to traktor it seems that way.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast