DJ software recommendations - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

with mapping you can make any controller do anything, the controller shouldn't be your focus, you should concentrate on the sound you want to make with the effects and how you want to change the sound...

a couple cool things to know with button effects in vdj is you can have different actions for pressing and releasing a button eg turn 1 effect on on the downward press and another on the release, you use this formula

down ? action for press : action for release

this is a bad example but you should get the idea
    down ? effect "echo" active on : effect "flanger" active on

if you just want an effect or multiple effects active while the button is held you can use
    effect "beatgrid" active while_pressed

another essential is "repeat"... you can use this to repeat the action at intervals you choose. It is great for effects because you can modulate their parameters while the button is held. For choosing the interval between repeating the action you use a number in milliseconds eg.

repeat 20ms &

a quick example of an effect that incorperates being active and modulating while held is this... you should also note that in order for this to work you need to reset the slider your modulating at the start of the script before repeat.

in steps it does this

effect 'flanger' active while_pressed &
    effect 'flanger' slider 2 0% &
    repeat 20ms & effect 'flanger' slider 2 +1%

but you paste it into the mapper like this

effect 'flanger' active while_pressed & effect 'flanger' slider 2 0% & repeat 20ms & effect 'flanger' slider 2 +1%

you can change the effect name, the slider number, the amount of modulation and the interval time

And try not to judge vdj by the standard effects, they are absolutely pathetic if you use the standard ones, if you upgrade to pro the downloadable effects sound fantastic... the other benifit is vst's these free ones are essential

quad byte - qb filter
    dblue - crusher, tapestop, stretch
    tal - reverb, dub
    Last edited by synthet1c; 05-09-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: cause touch screens suck to type on! grrr
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

yep - just map it to what u need. i don't find my launchpads great for effects as i like to have pots/faders mapped to stuff as well as buttons - but if buttons work for you then cool
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Wizard

see i dont really know where to start and im completely overwhelmed, but i think a good place to start is just map it to VDJ and play around with it until i can make a decision to change it or not. that seem like a smart call?
    Be Good, Get Good, or Give Up - Greg House
    Denon DN MC-6000, Virtual DJ PRO, Launchpad, 2 - 12" harbinger powered speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by laneo View Post
    see i dont really know where to start and im completely overwhelmed, but i think a good place to start is just map it to VDJ and play around with it until i can make a decision to change it or not. that seem like a smart call?
    +1 to that idea
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by laneo View Post
    Im gonna take an hour or two and read all that stuff in the links you sent, so i can get a better idea of what I actually want, but literally i had no idea DJing was this complex, but I love it and cant wait till I understand twice what i know now.
    Dj can go way beyond djing if you have your mind set on something. Both technical and performance wise. Don't get frustrated when problems arise and enjoy the ride

I should also mention there is a mapper in the controller mapping forum, it has a full definition file for the leds and a handy tool for you to input all the led scripts... the only downside is it doesn't convert to xml automatically so you need to use the following

&= &
    "= "
    '= '

eg.
    effect 'flanger' active ? blink : off

becomes
    effect 'flanger' active ? blink : off
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Wizard

I got Traktor Pro 2. havent even opened it yet, gonna see what its all about, after talking to a few people that I met who do a similar style to me they said traktor is the better choice for me, but im gonna hang on to VDJ too, Traktor cant do video as well im told so mabye ill grow into that but all that about mapping is literally makeing me twitch and making my head spin haha.

Ill keep reading and find mappings for the launchpad in traktor and hopefully be making some music by the end of the night, week, month, year haha!
    Be Good, Get Good, or Give Up - Greg House
    Denon DN MC-6000, Virtual DJ PRO, Launchpad, 2 - 12" harbinger powered speakers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123