CDJ 900 and Traktor

Default CDJ 900 and Traktor

If you're a RTFM guy, just move along. This thread isn't for you. If you're a "use the search feature on the forum" person, I find it as useful as tits on a fly. If your a "use Google" guy, I like interacting on forums.

All that being said, I just picked up a couple of CDJ 900's. I've got a few questions. I have a setup (with a pioneer 800) that I take out every week, and that stuff stays in one area. In my studio area, I've set up my CDJ's and am trying to route them through my S4. I took a couple of hours fumbling around and think I've got it figured out as far as using them in HID, but my scenario is a bit muddled due to the S4.
    Plugging them directly into my mac, I have the aggregated audio source, and controls work fine (from my limited time anyhow). I'd assume all would work normally when/if I hook up my DJM 800. No problem there. Where the issue comes in is using the S4.
    From my understanding, the S4 can not be used as a stand alone mixer if Traktor is not running and connected via USB. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this. So this in mind, is it possible to run the CDJ's in HID mode connected to the S4?

No, the inputs on the S4 are for timecode ins, the S4 is just a pure controller for Traktor's internal mixer. Routing the outputs on your CDJs into the S4 while in HID is just going to confuse the shit out of Traktor.

What you need to do is disregard the sound cards on the CDJs, use Internal Mixing, and use the S4 as the master output.

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    No, the inputs on the S4 are for timecode ins, the S4 is just a pure controller for Traktor's internal mixer. Routing the outputs on your CDJs into the S4 while in HID is just going to confuse the shit out of Traktor.

What you need to do is disregard the sound cards on the CDJs, use Internal Mixing, and use the S4 as the master output.
    I haven't really explored it entirely yet, but let me see if this is right...
    I should be able to route both CDJ's via usb into a hub, and the S4 into my mac directly. Then use the S4's soundcard, and the CDJ's should still work in HID mode contolling decks A&B and outputting to the S4 channels A&B?

you need traktor scratch and timecode discs as poster above mentioned.

You don't need traktor scratch, but yes, what you said was correct, with Internal Mixing, the CDJs become controllers without sacrosanct audio outputs, the S4 would then be routed as the master output of the internal mixer, and would become a controller for the mixer and whichever decks arent routed to CDJs. You may want to look into a scratch kit, as you may prefer the performance of timecodes over standard HID.

Also, there's no "S4 output A&B," the S4 is just a dummy controller for Traktor's mixer, just make sure you have mixing setup set to "internal" in the mixer preferences.

You may want to look into a scratch kit, as you may prefer the performance of timecodes over standard HID.
    I already own TSP 2. The issue is that I don't want to lug turntables up and down my stairs every week, and spend the time opening cases and unplugging/plugging in equipment over and over. I know it's a bit lazy, but I have a weekly gig, and time is sparse having a wife and child. By the time I make room and set everything up, and then search tracks to put into a recorded mix, I've lost motivation to mix altogether. The CDJ's might not move as much as my turntables do, and I'm looking for a solution that requires a more permanent set up in my studio.

Also, there's no "S4 output A&B," the S4 is just a dummy controller for Traktor's mixer, just make sure you have mixing setup set to "internal" in the mixer preferences.
    I was referring to channels, and not outputs. In essence though, using them as just a controller with the S4 will work with what I mentioned in my above post?

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    I already own TSP 2. The issue is that I don't want to lug turntables up and down my stairs every week, and spend the time opening cases and unplugging/plugging in equipment over and over. I know it's a bit lazy, but I have a weekly gig, and time is sparse having a wife and child. By the time I make room and set everything up, and then search tracks to put into a recorded mix, I've lost motivation to mix altogether. The CDJ's might not move as much as my turntables do, and I'm looking for a solution that requires a more permanent set up in my studio.

I was referring to channels, and not outputs. In essence though, using them as just a controller with the S4 will work with what I mentioned in my above post?
    You can run timecode CDs, it just depends on your preference on the performance of the software (standard HID is a little shoddy to some), and wiring (3 USBs vs 1 USB and RCA leads).

In essence, yes, just make sure the S4 isn't plugged into a hub, and that your mixing and output options are set up correctly.

I don't know what the HID is like in traktor atm, but I know they said in the last on the record that they were going to improve it and if it's anything close to what SSL's advanced HID is like then it'll be much better than timecode CDs. Also, the CDJ's looping and other features work properly in the software which they don't with TC.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Gotcha... I know it's a bit of a questionable set up. I have my audio 8 inside a flight case with my mixer, so when I set up, all I have to do is plug in the turntables. It always stays there. I'm thinking about picking up an audio 10 at this point, so I can have another sound card for the studio, upgrade it to TSP, and get rid of the S4 altogether. I love it because of it's 1:1 control, and small all in one footprint, but it feels too much like a toy to me, and that takes a lot of fun out of it. Only reason I haven't sold it yet is because that's how I have my TSP 1 upgraded to TSP 2. I'd sell it in a second if I could somehow keep the upgrade without the controller for free.

You could realistically just sell the controller sans license. Alternatively, Audio 10s are only packaged with a TSP license now, so you'd have an extra to sell with the S4 if you picked one up.