Passive and Active with a Crossover?
    Tech Wizard

Default Passive and Active with a Crossover?

Hi guys. I have two RCF ART 312As and a 705A sub. I was wondering if its possible to get these to work with my friends passive sub using a crossover?

My idea was too have my mixer go to the crossover, then have XLRs to my RCFs and RCA go to his amp. I'm just worried this would blow his sub so I wanted to ask first.

Tech Mentor

Double posting this on DJF's eh?

Yes, it's possible. Check your DJF post

Tech Guru

Your losing me at x-over. Are you talking about a frequency x-over? Anyways it should be as easy as this. Hook up your sound system as you normally do, and then to add your friends sub you can do a few things. If your mixer has 2 Master outs, you can use that extra Master out and connect it to your friends sub amp (if it's an RCA master out then hopefully you arent running it more than 15' or so). You could also buy a cable that splits the signal at the mixer and then you can run both signal wires (one to your friends amp the other to your powered sub or whichever speaker you want to connect first). Or if your sub, has an extra pair of signal outs, then you can use that extra pair (again.....run it to your friends amp). Or if your sub does not have an extra pair of outs, you can use the pair of signal outs on the last pair of speakers you have in line with your speaker system, cause obviously if its the last in the chain, then the pair will not be used ( again.......run the signal back to your friends amp). From the amp you would obviously connect to the sub, ask your friend which terminals to use on the amp and whatnot.

Tech Wizard

Saw it sss. Thanks for the info! And sorry for the double post, im new here and wanted to get some opinions haha.

What crossover would you recommend? I need XLR output for sure, and I would like a limiter for peace of mind. http://www.pssl.com/DBX-223XS-Stereo...-Crossover-XLR looks good, but it doesnt have a limiter.

Tech Wizard

I have 2 master outs on my DDJ-S1 actually, an XLR and RCA. Are you saying I could go straight to the amp with the RCA? You dont think that would endager the passive?

Oh, and my sub does have 2 XLR outs, xover and non-xover. I normally put the xover into my tops and use the non-xover if I have extra speakers for the show. Should I just use the non-xover XLR outs on my sub and a converter to plug into the amp?

Tech Guru

Either will work. RCA outs would be unbalanced, so I wouldnt run it very far or across other wires cause of the risk of getting induced EMF into your sound signal. If your friend has already been using his sub, then I'm sure he has a crossover already for it (either built into the cabinet or an active one built into the amp that he uses). Best connection would be the balanced XLR out from your sub, but that may require a very long expensive cable if your spacing out your subs on different sides of the room your hooking it up in.

Best connection would be the balanced XLR out from your sub, but that may require a very long expensive cable if your spacing out your subs on different sides of the room your hooking it up in.
    I saw a really nice video a while ago that explained how its 1000000x better to have subs next to each other than across the room from each other... (Can't remember exactly where i saw it), but it seemed pretty legit.
    Last edited by sparkbro; 05-09-2012 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Forgot to add Quote.
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub