legal mp3 downloads
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default legal mp3 downloads

What tells mr copper or whichever busybody comes knockin on my dorr which of my mp3's are leagle and which are not??

Gav
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Don't you keep your receipts mate? haha crazy eh
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Jack Bastard

Surely the onus is on them to prove that you didn't buy them. Failing that, a quick email to the online store you got them from should confirm it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bastard View Post
    Surely the onus is on them to prove that you didn't buy them. Failing that, a quick email to the online store you got them from should confirm it.
    Theoreticly yes, your innocent until proven guilty so i guess that would be the case.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole View Post
    What tells mr copper or whichever busybody comes knockin on my dorr which of my mp3's are leagle and which are not??

Gav
    Why would they come to your door.
    If its illegal downloads they would prove thru your Service Provider probably.

If its in the Club its a whole different ball game. Weve been over this at NI and its a minefield in the UK.

You can strip the MP3 tags and rename them but i dunno about how that would affect digital watemarks. I get promos that are digitaly watermarked and they scare the hell out of me. Especially when the sticker has your name printed on saying that the CD tracks contain information about me and would be transfered if copied.
    There have been some DJs in London who have been made an example of when tracks with their names on turned up on torrent sites. They got booted off ALL their promo lists and will never receive a promo again. Ouch
    Thats why i dont file share. To much to lose.

It was a discussion point moree than anything. I'm not saying they will come to my door just an exapmle to try and get my point accross.

So digital water marks hey .. how or where do you see these?

What if the company i bought them off goes bust and are uncontactable?

Its all just discussion. I don't really use the NI board so havent been over this before and i dont think its been discussed on here. Think its a pretty interesting subject.

G
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

surely they keep an eye on the actual source, who uploaded it and what IPs connect to it.
    Last edited by galaxion; 05-18-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Technically they have the burden of proof that you are downloading music illegally. That, and most likely the cops won't come to your door. You'll get a summons from the record industry with the details of the lawsuit.

The system is kinda fucked like that, though. They are more concerned with the people providing than downloading, but I think that's mainly because it's easier to trace.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Yeah they announced a new '3 Strikes And Your Out' proposal just this week for the UK.
    If you get caught downloading music you get sent a letter of warning. Second time you get another letter and a warning from your ISP. Third time you get your internet access taken off you BUT you still have to pay your ISP till the contract ends which is part of the warning in the second letter.

Lets face even though they go afterr the peeps that are downloading millions of tunes they will make an example of the odd person who just downloads a few tracks to make everyone think "IT COULD BE YOU NEXT" hahaha

And it could .... mwhah hahaha

Digital Watermarks are placed on promo cds and they have the DJs information contained in each track.
    IE: DJ name/Promo company
    Promo companies 'claim' they search online for leaked music that has been sent out as a promo to DJs before release date. If they find tracks that you have uploaded by looking at the watermark your fucked.

When i get home ill post a pic of the warning you get on a watermarked CD. It certainly makes you think twice when you rip it to use on the laptop.

Tech Guru

I am not sure exactly what all there is in there, but tracks bought of off iTunes these days come without DRM, but do have your email addressed embedded. In many European countries you pay fees for all media copy/transport devices. This includes printers, CD-R's (well only those for audio) and mp3 players. You can also legally share music with friends and family. But given that we are all connected somehow, the file you give to a friend could go around the world, without ever having been on a public website (which would be illegal). However if someone in the limitless "trust chain" does upload it, its your email up there.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast