Hey all, need advice :)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Hey all, need advice :)

Hi everyone

Basically, ive been into music for aslong as i can remember, and have always wanted to DJ pretty much, so a few years ago i went out and bought a ion icue (LOLOL) when i was about 14.

Then on ive been using my mates S4 and tryed the pioneer DDJ-T1 when i played at a venue.

Now ive decided that ive got enough income to finance something new. and im tied between staying Digital or going CDJ?

I know that if i go digital there is going to be a time where if im doing a set somewhere im going to have to use CDJ's, I know how to beatmatch etc but i wont feel very confident.

I cant afford things like the CDJ2000, and i dont wanna spend money on something i will need to upgrade on in a month either.

I was looking at a CDJ900 maybe, but i like the traktor s4?

Any help would be appreciated.

THANKS

Tech Guru

I had a similar issue, having gone straight from vinyl to controllers.

I picked up some really cheap denon dns-1000s (like 180 pound for the pair) and i've found they are fine to learn on and still very fun to use - i was worried id need pioneer, but once you use any cdjs the pios dont take long to get used to.

Tech Convert

If i get the s4 and dont use the sync features, in essence will i be able to play on a cdj?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Dislokate View Post
    If i get the s4 and dont use the sync features, in essence will i be able to play on a cdj?
    IMHO ... no, not comfortably anyhow. The length of the pitch fader does play a big part in being able to ride it properly. The pioneer unit you used before has a fader almost twice the length of the S4 which would make it feel much more "Standard".

I'd honestly think about something with 100mm pitch faders and big wheels to make the tradition a lil easier.

Despite being cheap maybe Gemini's CDJ700's, which are pretty much the same controls all round as Pio CDJ's plus include midi control and will play off USB sticks and are only around $500 each

BTW, while Gemini produce cheap as chips gear (and many knockoffs of big names), in fairness their stuff lasts pretty well if its looked after.

Tech Mentor

Yes, if you are going to play on CDJs but can't afford a pair for home, then get a controller with big jogs and long pitch faders. Probably the best choice would be the Pioneer DDJ-S1 for Itch, since the layout is exactly like a CDJ, and Itch is much more geared towards hands-on traditional style DJ'ing than Traktor. If you insist on Traktor, the Numark 4Trak is probably the best bet due to the big HID jogs, but the Pio T1 might be a reasonable alternative again due to the CDJ-like layout.

Tech Convert

Yeh never used the numark trak, have used the T1, it was good but it didnt amaze me. I am really leaning toward the S4 now. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Maxted View Post
    once you use any cdjs the pios dont take long to get used to.
    +1 to Maxted

It's all about feel. CDJ's (like turntables and controllers) have a specific workflow. As a DJ you develop your craft using specific equipment, and because of this, your performance is somewhat tied to it. This is why the "Big Name" DJs have technical riders specifying exactly what equipment they want at a gig; because it is directly related to their performance. Once you have a firm grasp of how things work, you can modify that workflow depending on what you're playing on. Ever hear that saying... "A DJ should be able to play on anything"? If your objective is to drive a nail, you'll figure out how to do it even if you don't have a hammer.

Meaning...

Just because you can play on everything, doesn't mean you're comfortable with all of them (I can mix with a Tonium Pacemaker, and while it might sound ok, I won't have as much fun)

Having said that, I would make a move toward an S4, but your reasons may be different than mine.

Tech Convert

Thanks for he responses guys, ive pretty much just purchased an s4 from here hopefully so lets see how this goes, I would love CDJ, but my finances arnt as great as i thought :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
    +1 to Maxted

It's all about feel. CDJ's (like turntables and controllers) have a specific workflow. As a DJ you develop your craft using specific equipment, and because of this, your performance is somewhat tied to it. This is why the "Big Name" DJs have technical riders specifying exactly what equipment they want at a gig; because it is directly related to their performance. Once you have a firm grasp of how things work, you can modify that workflow depending on what you're playing on. Ever hear that saying... "A DJ should be able to play on anything"? If your objective is to drive a nail, you'll figure out how to do it even if you don't have a hammer.

Meaning...

Just because you can play on everything, doesn't mean you're comfortable with all of them (I can mix with a Tonium Pacemaker, and while it might sound ok, I won't have as much fun)

Having said that, I would make a move toward an S4, but your reasons may be different than mine.
    Great response!!! Totally agree.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Convert

Bought the S4 and the KRK moniters. Shipping to UK is way too expensive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast