High pitched noise when upgrading to traktor scratch pro
    Tech Guru

Default High pitched noise when upgrading to traktor scratch pro

So i finally purchased one technics 1200 and hooked it up to my s4. Everything is working fairly good except that there is a high pitched noise coming from the speakers when the needle is on the record and the volume fader is all the way down but the table is still spinning.

The noise is still there when the fader is up but not as noticeable

Is this common? Am I missing an important setting such as line or phono, even though I have tried both.

i've never owned a turntable before so it could have something to due with the settings of the tonearm?

I guess if anyone has any ideas while I am trouble shooting this please let me know.

It's not coming through the speakers. Turn your amp off. It is the sound of the 2/2.5khz control signal coming from the needle, through the air and into your ears.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

I'm assuming you've grounded it too? Set the switch on the back to phono too.

But yeah, it could just be the control signal. It would be the same if you were to use regular vinyl, you'd hear the song coming out of the needle without an amp.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Guru

I think i kind of figured it out. I had it grounded and the back to phono. The gain knob on the back was maybe turned the wrong way, so now it is all the way down and the noise is just coming from the actual turntable contacing the vinyl (not through the speakers anymore)

My main problem now is that my calibration only has very small circles and it says low output. By small circles I mean they do not fill up the entire calibration circle as most of the images intend the calibration to look.

Anyway to get the correct calibration?

Tech Guru

Just to clarify it was definately coming through the speakers, hence it got louder as i turned the main volume on the s4 up while the volume fader was all the down.

Tech Guru

f'n perfect link rgtb....didn't see this in my google searches or in the manual.

Thanks

Tech Mentor

Did you get it figured out? There's a gain knob on the back of the S4, which should be turned all the way down when it's used with timecode.