Anyone ever built their own soundsystem?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Anyone ever built their own soundsystem?

No idea why, but I have the urge to build a decent speaker system - anyone ever done this?

I've been looking at http://billfitzmaurice.net/welcome.html for inspiration. Anyone made any of their designs before?

Any other suggestions for where to look for decent plans?
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

I don't think I would look much further than bill fitz- apparently they sound pretty good for the money.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 05-13-2012 at 08:19 PM.

There is a whole thread on this somewhere. Someone was making their own last year sometime if I remember right.
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Tech Guru

I'm not sure what you qualify as " sound system", but I fairly recently built a 4000W "system" (2 speakers) mostly for my own personal use or the occasional high end house party or outside party etc. Basic speaker cabinet construction though, I dont need them to throw sound far distances or anything. Are you trying to design something for a bar or club or something?

Tech Mentor

Personally, I've heard nothing but bad things about BFM cabinets.

Tech Guru

I built my own system using BFM designs. I started by building a Titan 48 for a friend. Then I built my own system. I have ten DR200's and ten Titan 39@14". I also built all the road cases out of the scraps. I am an experienced woodworker, and I already had all the tools necessary for the build.

The full system was sized to handle 2000 people in a 20k+ sqft ballroom. I do two or three events each year at that scale. I have enough amps, electronics, and consoles to allow the system to be divided into three independent systems...4+4 (8k sqft, 750 people), 4+4 (8k sqft, 750 people), and 2+2 (3k sqft, 300 people). Overall, I spent well under $10k on everything (cabinets, electronics, amps, cables, racks, cases, dollies, etc)...and I paid off just over half that by selling off my previous gear. It is unlikely that any commercial system could compete with that level of performance, flexibility, and price point.

The system will run "flat to 40Hz" with moderate EQ. Overall, I am very pleased with my decision to build. However, the *real* benefit to the BFM designs is the forum. There is more good information about sound & sound systems than any other place I have found. If you can hang onto that fire hose for a few years, there is an *enormous* amount that can be learned.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rotebass View Post
    Personally, I've heard nothing but bad things about BFM cabinets.
    Have you personally heard any BFM cabinets?
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    I'm not sure what you qualify as " sound system", but I fairly recently built a 4000W "system" (2 speakers) mostly for my own personal use or the occasional high end house party or outside party etc. Basic speaker cabinet construction though, I dont need them to throw sound far distances or anything. Are you trying to design something for a bar or club or something?
    Well the intention is to have something flexible enough for house parties with a couple of hundred people, to street parties with double that or more. The Engineer in me wants to make something myself (or at least help out) whereas the Scottish blood makes me want a bargain, in terms of audio bang for your buck (hence the BFM designs).

I'm also influenced by the big Jamaican Dub Systems we get being played out around me (I live in St Pauls in Bristol - apparently the highest density of Jamaicans in the world outside the island, all through the summer you get impromptu soundclashes down the park on a summer day ... and when Carnival rolls through town )

I'm a dab hand with electronics, and one of the lads I play with regularly is a cabinet maker/carpenter so between us we've got the skills to make them I reckon

I'm always the guy at parties doing the setup and I would just love being able to bring some seriously ace sound to the next gig I play ...
    Last edited by Sherlock Ohms; 05-14-2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: speeeeeeeeeeeeeeling
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

l bought the bfm cd. Very detailed plans indeed. I plan on building two dr250's and two tuba30's for my mobile rig. If your lucky, you may find someone on the bfm forum in your area that will let you have a listen to theirs.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

I don't know if you have seen this yet, but here is a thread of some finished bfm cabs- http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/vi...hp?f=1&t=17753
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast