Clown DJ's - Page 5
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Clown DJ's

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 1mco View Post
    i should start following dj sneak just for the tweets...
    great minds eh. Started following him about an hour ago.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    There is no hate. I just stated (as did the quoted article) he concentrates on sideshow gimmicks rather than keeping it all about the music. Why confuse stating facts as hate? For performance and stage presence, I enjoy guys like Carl Cox who can give a show by amazing me with skill and technique. When I want more of a performance with music, I'll go see Stomp or Blue Man Group. They do a much better job.
    I meant the general hate, not you specifically. My opinion is that DJ Sneak needs to spend less time on Twitter, he kind of sounds like a grumpy old man.

Yeah it's a bit much but he's right and it's hilarious. Glad someone is doing it.

I might finally join twitter just to follow him.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Yeah it's a bit much but he's right and it's hilarious. Glad someone is doing it.

I might finally join twitter just to follow him.
    Same here, always interesting to see what he has to say. No filter on him

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBay View Post
    Same here, always interesting to see what he has to say. No filter on him
    Thats funny because sneak plays alot of filtered house. Oh the irony

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    Thats funny because sneak plays alot of filtered house. Oh the irony
    I was waiting to see how long it would take for some one to mention this

Drugs, fame and fortune. [/thread]....
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

I follow sneak just to see what shit he starts. People get sooooooo heated with his shit. He is totally a grumpy old man stuck in his ways, but hes funny as hell. He is right calling what they play house is totally way off.

Tech Guru

This is such a broad topic with some many different angles to look at. I think the reason why people get so heated about guys like Aoki, Skrillex, DJ Bl3nd is because it affects all of us. Whether you like it or not these guys have a lot of influence on people (55 million views by DJ Bl3nd) and this influences what people think of DJs. So when they see Aoki/Bl3nd bouncing around all over the place with a barrage of slamming electro tracks they think anything less is bad. This puts a lot of DJ's in an awkward situation. Not every DJ wants to bounce around/throw cakes/wear a mask. Some DJ's just want to create a groove, put together a technical set, set a laidback vibe. When people see things like the view counts of these artists on youtube or how big they're getting they think they have to do that too, so it really dilutes the creativity and individuality of each person. This doesn't mean you have to do something that no one has done before or that's super unique. It's really a matter of tapping into why you do what you do and focusing on what makes you tick as a DJ.

I'd say festivals are part of the problem as well. They've turned DJ sets into more then just a set. They're a full on performance and the scale just keeps getting bigger. The problem is people expect this scale anytime they see a DJ now. The energy level of 10000 people doesn't match the energy level of a 400 capacity club/lounge. This is where it is necessary to set the vibe rather then dropping Skrillex at the start of your set (which is what most amateurs will request when it's 8pm).

It's quite ironic that we are even in this situation. Technology and the internet has made it possible for almost anyone to be a DJ. The internet also allowed for an expanded musical horizon, it is now possible to have a very diverse collection of music, yet everyone expects your sets to be similar to the big guys. So it's ironic that even though there should now be smaller niche followings for certain music, there is still one massive push behind these big guys. And unfortunately there is a huuuge gap between the niche groups and the mainstream followers.

I don't really know what the remedy is but really it's a circle of life thing. The real guys will stay, fakes will get washed away. This whole scene will peak like a wave and eventually come back down again and we'll all have a laugh. Until then have a laugh at your festival audience here.

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Whether you like it or not these guys have a lot of influence on people (55 million views by DJ Bl3nd) and this influences what people think of DJs. So when they see Aoki/Bl3nd bouncing around all over the place with a barrage of slamming electro tracks they think anything less is bad. This puts a lot of DJ's in an awkward situation. Not every DJ wants to bounce around/throw cakes/wear a mask. Some DJ's just want to create a groove, put together a technical set, set a laidback vibe. When people see things like the view counts of these artists on youtube or how big they're getting they think they have to do that too, so it really dilutes the creativity and individuality of each person.
    This statement is something I hear all the time, but it makes absolutely no sense, and is kind of contradictory. If you don't give a care about what the crowd wants and just want to "set a laidback" vibe, then why do you care about what people perceive you as? It doesn't make any sense, if you're not there to give them the energy they want, why does it matter what they think of you? And why is it a bad thing that people are willing to blow the fucking doors off and put on a good show? Should all DJs just slump down and play nothing but soft technical sets, making the bored punters just deal with that?

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast