How do you remember how many bars the intro or outro of a song has? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by djlotus View Post
    Does no one bother to learn the basics anymore?

not to start the same old sync argument. in fact please dont.

but if you're syncing, and have your intro/outro's set up on all your tracks what the hell are you doing for the time between?

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    but if you're syncing, and have your intro/outro's set up on all your tracks what the hell are you doing for the time between?
    That, my friend, is how the jesus pose was invented.
    Gear: late 2011 13" i7 256GB Macbook Air, Numark NS7, 2x Technics SL-1200MK2, Dateq XTC, 2x M-Audio CX8
    Check my Souncloud for livesets: http://soundcloud.com/dj-subliminal

Quote Originally Posted by Liambo View Post
    You could just get to know your tracks and know when things happen in that track?
    qft
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Ahhh the days of vinyl. If you stared closely you might be able to see the breakdown coming up.
    Now THOSE were the days!!!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djet0 View Post
    THIS. This is one of the topics I teach to all newbies. (You've also forgotten 8, buddy. :P) It is THE essential tool to mixing next to beat matching.
    When you don't know a song well enough, you follow this algorithm and it will work all the time albeit being perfect. As long as you make sure you start at the end a phrase/beginning of a new phrase, you'll be pretty much spot on.
    Damn it! LOL.

The next thing you need to learn is to keep it on the ones. After that, it's all practice and listening to your tunes.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Quote Originally Posted by djlotus View Post
    it's all practice
    There's an old story…I heard it most recently on GS, but I've heard it other places.

Big group of session players were in a recording studio tracking a song for some producer or something. Among them were a piano player and a guitarist.

The piano player got confused on the second take when the guitarist played a completely different solo from the first take. He asked to see the guitarist's sheet music…only to find chord diagrams for the song but no specific notes. He asked "how do you know what notes to play?"

The guitarist responded, "practice."

The piano player kept screwing up and asked the producer "How am I supposed to know what's going on when he plays completely different parts every time?" (referring to the guitarist ad-libing solos).

The producer responded "practice."

Practicing DJing 'till you get to the point that you can anticipate structure changes before they happen (even on a track you're not that intimately familiar with) doesn't take that long in terms of mastering a musical skill.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    There's an old story…I heard it most recently on GS, but I've heard it other places.

Big group of session players were in a recording studio tracking a song for some producer or something. Among them were a piano player and a guitarist.

The piano player got confused on the second take when the guitarist played a completely different solo from the first take. He asked to see the guitarist's sheet music…only to find chord diagrams for the song but no specific notes. He asked "how do you know what notes to play?"

The guitarist responded, "practice."

The piano player kept screwing up and asked the producer "How am I supposed to know what's going on when he plays completely different parts every time?" (referring to the guitarist ad-libing solos).

The producer responded "practice."

Practicing DJing 'till you get to the point that you can anticipate structure changes before they happen (even on a track you're not that intimately familiar with) doesn't take that long in terms of mastering a musical skill.
    Nice story! It seems like today people want to buy two pioneer CDJs with a mixer and then ask if they are ready to rock out on the next major festival in their country. ("David Guetta in a box" for 199$ definitely would be a bestseller )

I remember a forum member from another minor DJ forum stating that he would have huge DJing skills and experiences since he had already DJed for 4 months at home and he now wanted to know where he could ask for a DJ engagement at the love parade or Mayday (= two of the biggest DJing events in Germany).

Every noob calls himself a DJ. Youtube is full of crappy (and even worse ) content. It's a nightmare.

My 2 pence worth.

Turn off the monitor after you've loaded your 4 tracks, mix between them by ear. This is not a dig at the sync users, more a dig at those people who believe technology is the answer.

Your ears are the best device when mixing, the rest is just glitter on shit.

As for learning how long an intro/outro is, how do you think we used to do it 10-15-20 years ago ? We listened and listened and listened, we got our mates round and listened and listened and listened. There's tracks I was playing back in 87-88 that I still know inside out and can mix blindly, yet the latest MP3/WAV's I have to guess a lot of the time.

It's been said before PRACTICE ! PRACTICE ! PRACTICE ! it's the only winning solution.
    XPS L701x i7 16GbRAM 2x 500Gb SSD RAID HD (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) 1 x 1Tb 7200 int.
    TSP 2.6.1 ¦ Audio 8 ¦ Audio 4 ¦ 4 x Denon SC-2000 ¦ 2 x DX2 ¦ EMU shortboard ¦ MIDI_FIGHTER_PRO_PLUS
    SL1210Mk5 x 2 ¦ Numark TTX x2 ¦ DJM-T1 ¦ DDM4000 MIDI Mixer ¦ Numark 4TRAK ¦ neoD+ cables
    8000+ 45's & 2500+ 12's ¦ 2 x Traktor Kontrol S4 ¦ X1 & F1

why would you want to know that?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234