Should I be scared of the new DJ's? What should I do to stand out from the others?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Should I be scared of the new DJ's? What should I do to stand out from the others?

I'm fairly new to the DJTT community and far away from the USA, so I don't know how you guys see this or the EU guys see this too, but...

I always loved music. Every bit and kind of music. So, when I sold my e-drum kit (still trying to sell my acoustic kit) to buy my S4, it felt a natural move. I was studying how to handle a CDJ and a mixer, how to mix with a great DJ in my town. Really enjoying beatmatching house, hip hop and brazilian funk songs. Every saturday, at the DJ classes, was a blast.

I left out in the middle of the way, when I bought the controller and started practising at home. Listened to more songs, falling in love with deep and prog and so on (and a secret love with moombahton). Even went to a workshop with, my main inspiration, Ean Golden.

I look back at october of last year, when I dropped out of the DJ classes and start practising and getting a few gigs. I look back when I played to 1500 people and see how I still got better and better and how there is a lot to learn and shape.

But last week I saw one photo of a guy with a S2 on facebook. And this freaked me out. I don't know if he knows how to mix a song, even if he knows what a breakdown and build-up is. But this shooked me up, up to 30 people liked his photo and left comments like "let's see you at your next gig", "lets rock" "i want to listen to you".

His S2 arrived that day. So I started to think: should I be afraid of this? Everyone who can buy some midi controller and set up a software and started playing? Yes. I was at his position months ago (but only my girlfriend helped me ). And the audience don't see a difference. They can't tell if a set is recorded and so on.

How can I stand out from the rest of the crowd? This is freaking me out! Already got 2 gigs in June, not the ones I was hoping for, but a gig is a gig...

Edit:
    Don't know if I posted on the section off the forum since I was questioning the easeness (does this word exists?) of getting a controller and how should I use mine.
    Last edited by chicomodo; 05-15-2012 at 07:44 AM.

hey man. donīt worry! we discussed topics like that several times on here and my statement is the following:

do your thing, concentrate on your own stuff, be good at what you are doing, practise,practise,practise, keep promoting yourself but donīt spam, donīt give a sh*t what others are saying and doing, do it for the love of music, itīs not about the fame, itīs about the fun, donīt believe the hype, people come and go everytime and those who really stand for something will stay. fact.period.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    hey man. donīt worry! we discussed topics like that several times on here and my statement is the following:

do your thing, concentrate on your own stuff, be good at what you are doing, practise,practise,practise, keep promoting yourself but donīt spam, donīt give a sh*t what others are saying and doing, do it for the love of music, itīs not about the fame, itīs about the fun, donīt believe the hype, people come and go everytime and those who really stand for something will stay. fact.period.

I could'nt have said it better
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

Concentrate on mixing skills and your programming.

Standing out for the sake of standing out will not make you "better". Horrible DJs can also boast that they stand out.

To stay ahead of the curve, you should keep up with new tracks, have a good collection of "classics" (this is open to interpretation, as it may even be specific to your locale), and most of all, concentrate on developing your own style.

Market yourself, and build loyalty. (this can be as easy as greeting your guests when you're not busy mixing)

Competition is healthy...

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You seem like you're fairly new to the DJ scene as well so just do what everybody else has said here and treat others with respect and you'll be fine.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

His S2 arrived that day. So I started to think: should I be afraid of this? Everyone who can buy some midi controller and set up a software and started playing? Yes.
    It was never any different really (apart from the cost) than it ever was before, every joe bloggs on every street corner had a pair of 1210's (or lookalikes), now its midi controllers and a laptop.

Concentrate on your music programming and not on the controller and you will stand out

Tech Wizard

Thanks folks.

Everything is a challenge right now. Getting a booked on the top clubs right here is almost like fighting with the resident DJ's.
    And now I know I'm not far away from the tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post

Amazing reply - listen to this and follow your own dreams dude.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    It was never any different really (apart from the cost) than it ever was before, every joe bloggs on every street corner had a pair of 1210's (or lookalikes), now its midi controllers and a laptop.

Concentrate on your music programming and not on the controller and you will stand out
    Wel with the 1210's atleast you HAD to earn how to beatmatch first. Now they just hit he sync button smh

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Remco View Post
    Wel with the 1210's atleast you HAD to earn how to beatmatch first. Now they just hit he sync button smh
    Not necessarily it seems. The crossfader seems to be an often-misused tool by the youngins nowadays, syncing BPMs be damned
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast