QUE Audio : Design Project
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default QUE Audio : Design Project

So I have no idea why I haven't gotten around to posting this sooner. Here's the low down, about 2 years ago I was finishing school for product design. For my thesis I decided I'd create and design a new brand of consumer electronics, with a focus on DJ products, such as headphones, speakers, midi controller ect. Its kind of gone on as a pet project of mine since then, with updates here and there, and ideas for future concepts constantly popping into my head. Seeing a similar questions about designing or building speaker setups I thought some folks might like to take a look at my project and hopefully find some inspiration from my work.

http://tinyurl.com/QUE-Audio

Prepartion for the project started in January 2010, and all work was completed by the end of April 2010. There are probably hundreds of sketches not shown here, but should give you a good idea of the overall design process.

Hope to continue with this project, and possibly get a simplified version into production sometime in the future. Considering putting something like this up on kickstarter.com, anyways enjoy! I'm happy to answer any questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those speakers that fold over the top of themselves and kind of sit on it look SIIIIICK (On the top left of one of the spec sheets)

TBH, they look like your designer products kinda thing, but i like the ideas. There are some really original things in there :P

If you do ever end up getting anything produced, let me know. Because i might just be interested
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Tech Mentor

Some classy looking speakers. How did the Goldwood woofers perform irl?
    Last edited by rotebass; 05-15-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: durrr goldwoof

Looks nice. Make sure you keep us up-to-date with your work's progress!
    Last edited by RockingClub; 05-15-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Did you build working models or is it more proof of design? The design is awesome, the logo is really great - simple and meaningful to a digital generation and of course very functional on those jog wheels. That standalone DJ unit looks really sweet.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Sparkbro, in retrospect I kinda wish I had gone with that wrap around design you say you like so much. I dig that one a lot myself.

Glad you guys like what you see, I appreciate the feedback. Always interesting to see what people have to say. The Goldwood woofers have been fantastic so far, although I really haven't gotten to push them hard yet. I'm only feeding the speakers 75-100 watts max off of the amplifier I currently have, and they'll easily handle 3 to 4 times that, probably more. So I guess its time to upgrade my amp haha. They are based off of a speaker design I found through Parts Express. Designed to handle some big power but maintain amazing sound quality without distortion at high volume.

Proben, the speakers are completely functional, the mixer, and headphones are meerly appearance models, but the lighting element was incorporated in these as well. Hoping if I can get support and capital put together for a cheaper/smaller unit might be able to get something produced in the future, you'll all be in the loop for sure.

Tech Guru

I like the designs remind me of Tron

and DaftPunk

not really a fan of the designs for professional dj gear, I understand the draw of using future minimal designs as I like them aswell, but in the modern world they don't fit and stand out too much, this will attract posers to buy your product and sully your products design on it's own. With the design you have created a great bedroom set for a batchelor pad, but not gear that says "abuse me, I can take it" which all good dj kit has to say to a degree.

All in my honest opinion of coarse, but honestly I wish I had your design skills
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    not really a fan of the designs for professional dj gear, I understand the draw of using future minimal designs as I like them aswell, but in the modern world they don't fit and stand out too much, this will attract posers to buy your product and sully your products design on it's own. With the design you have created a great bedroom set for a batchelor pad, but not gear that says "abuse me, I can take it" which all good dj kit has to say to a degree.
    Like Beats headphones

Sythet1c, I would have to agree with you from a professional/experienced DJ stand point this probably would not be the gear for them. The idea and driving force for the Midi controller design was actually to be more user friendly and simplified for new users who might be interested in experimenting with DJing and music but were overwhelmed with the complexity of existing equipment. At least I remember feeling that way when browsing DJ equipment when I was just getting started. So many knobs, buttons, faders ect, I wanted something that would appeal to people who were turned off by the cramped, complicated designs I saw at the time, while still offering flexibility for advanced users to be able to customize layouts with the touchscreens at the top on both sides. I wanted to offer an experience similar to what I think makes Apple products so great, they are simple and elegant in there design, and they work. Looking back with the experience I have now I would have done a lot more work on the ergonomics, and button & knob layout.

Haha, I can't lie and say that from a styling point, Tron and Beats weren't influences, I wanted these designs to have a similar look and feel of sleek design, but with quality components.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast