Internal Mixer Controllers: Alternatives to the Xone K2 or CMD-MM1?

Default Internal Mixer Controllers: Alternatives to the Xone K2 or CMD-MM1?

Hi guys,

Been strolling around the forum for a while and could n't really find what I was looking for, so here it goes:
    I'm building up my setup. As I want to use my setup both at home and in the club I am looking for compact modular controllers. I have a Contour Interface Edition, so I'm good with the platter + soundcard. What I need now is a controller to control the internal mixer, so I can easily plug-in to one of the available slots in the club's mixer and keep the 2 CDJ's that you regularly find connected. What I'm looking for is 4 faders, 4x3 knobs for EQ and some buttons.

The Xone:K2 seems excellent, but it has more then what I am looking for with the soundcard, so €250 seems a bit much. The Behringer CMD-mm1 seems quite large for the small amount of control you get, and I still don't really trust Behringer. Stanton's SCs 1M is big and expensive and the Torq Mixlab is just a toy. The faderfoxes are expensive and don't have all the necessary controls. I had expected way more internal DJ Mixer midi-controllers to be out there, but this is the list that I can come up with.

Do you guys know of any controllers I'm missing, possibly some quirky looking gear from the inlands of Rumania or something?

why not just use the house mixer? the contour gives you the ability to send 4 stereo channels to an analog mixer that always sounds better than internal mixing of dj software. all you would need to do is set up the contour next to the mixer and hook up 4 channels, this should be simple as most club mixers will have 5 line inputs and 3 switchable phono/line inputs and the most that is ever usually plugged in is 2 turntables and 2 or 3 cdj's. that leaves 3 or 4 spare inputs for you to connect your gear.

You have named all the major midi mixers, although maybe the djtech mix101 thing might be okay but honestly I don't trust djtech. If you want something solid to operate as a mixer the best option imo is the allen & heath xone dx, the jog's are useless so easy to forget about but everything else is quality, the soundcard is much better than the reloop, and it has dual color leds in most of the controls for extra feedback for mapping. It's expensive when new but can be rather cheap used
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Hi synthet1c, thanx to your suggestions.
    As to the question of the house mixer: I use all four decks in Traktor, and also play back to back with CD DJ's. Switching inputs to often confronts me with logistical problems, that's why I want to go with the internal mixer and only use one channel on the house mixer.
    The sound quality is a good issue and I had some doubts, as I haven't been able to test this on a big system. I've read several discussions on this topic and the opinions differ widely on the matter. What's yor beef with the internal mixer?
    And yes, the A&H is solid, but quite big, especially with the jog wheels that I won't be using.

I am very likely picking up a Behringer MM-1 when it comes out. If they were out today I would buy one today. It has everything that I want for an internal MIDI mixer:
    - good price ($149)
    - 4 Channels
    - 4 Knobs per channel (3 EQs + 1 Filter or 4 EQs like A&H)
    - channel cue button with LED feedback
    - FX unit assign for each channel (only two instead of 4...but I can live with that)
    - LED output metering...I am guessing that this will require some MIDI mapping in Traktor...

What I wish it had
    - a sound interface
    - 4 FX assign instead of 2
    - a little smaller

I have a Xone:K2 but for me...it seems like it can do a lot of things...just none of them great...it just misses the mark for me. Example, the faders are studio style instead of classic DJ mixer style...I know it is a preference, but it misses the mark for me. I also wish it had 4 rows of pots instead of 3 so i could use it as a mixer with EQs and filters....oh and a crossfader.

For my money...I would wait for the MM-1...the price is good...should be out within a few months and it should let you mimick the basic controls of the mixers you are likely to encouter (faders, EQs, filter, gain, etc.) depending on how you map it.
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

Tech Wizard

I find myself confronted with the same problem, the Beringer MM-1 seems like a perfect solution. The integrated usb hub would make it ideal for integrating it in a coffin with one or two contour's, though Behringer stil keeps us waiting. the K2 seems nice as well, though it has a lot of buttons that'd be redundant with the contour's great controll over samples. The encoders would make for easy acces to fx for all decks at the same time. Does anyone have3 any experience with the M-audio X-session? as it seems to do exactly what i want though it looks like a toy with nasty knobs...

Quote Originally Posted by stijn View Post
    I find myself confronted with the same problem, the Beringer MM-1 seems like a perfect solution. The integrated usb hub would make it ideal for integrating it in a coffin with one or two contour's, though Behringer stil keeps us waiting. the K2 seems nice as well, though it has a lot of buttons that'd be redundant with the contour's great controll over samples. The encoders would make for easy acces to fx for all decks at the same time. Does anyone have3 any experience with the M-audio X-session? as it seems to do exactly what i want though it looks like a toy with nasty knobs...
    if your budget is tiny, then the M-Audio X-Session is ok, otherwise avoid it as it is very toy like (I owned one). The MM-1 seems like the ideal choice...if it is ever released.
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

I'm playing with MM-1 for past two days. Dimensions are 30.4 x 15.2cm so it's not too big as it looks and got everything you want from midi mixer. There is also a dedicated shift button - I've mapped it to turn all four CUE buttons in to four bank selectors to expend control surface. It's awesome peace indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    I'm playing with MM-1 for past two days. Dimensions are 30.4 x 15.2cm so it's not too big as it looks and got everything you want from midi mixer. There is also a dedicated shift button - I've mapped it to turn all four CUE buttons in to four bank selectors to expend control surface. It's awesome peace indeed!
    Hi. Do the knobs of the Behringer CMD MM-1 have a center detent (notch) ?