mashing up dancehall and electro

Default mashing up dancehall and electro

i've been a big reggae and dancehall head since i was like 11 but really felt for dnb, breaks and electro over the last years. there is alot of ragga-jungle or dancehall-lyrics on breakbeat-tunes. what i am missing is actual reggae or dancehall which has alot of EDM influence by using effects or patters usually used by EDM.

an artist that does this is:
    http://www.myspace.com/terrylynnkingstonlogic
    and to some degree
    http://www.myspace.com/lexielee

i am really digging lexie lee.

what i wanna go for in the long run is producing electro-type riddims at the speed of dancehall to mash up with killer dancehall tunes. that way transitions could sound really seamless and the whole dancehall mix would get this electronic style which i love (what sounds greater than some wicked distorted basslines at 130 or 174bpm?). if anyone already achived this i would really like to know.

in my opinion most dancehall selectas suck because all they do is crossfade and layer some delay/airhorn or vinyl backspins. most even overdo this. i love reggae and if i wanna start spinning it i need to be way above average when it comes to mixing.

also i would like to hear some of your traditional dancehall mixes made in traktor!

any input on this: go for it!

You need to check out Major Lazer(which is Diplo and Switch...hottest act in 09' in IMO), Sharkslayer w/ Rico Tubbs, Toddla T.... all of those fit into dancehall/bassline vs EDM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauchsound View Post
    what sounds greater than some wicked distorted basslines at 130 or 174bpm?)}
    DUBSTEP!
    You also should also check out a genre called Dubstep.Some of the more mainstream producers are Skream, Caspa, Rusko. Go Find Rusko's BBC Radio1 Essential Mix from last year and take a listen to that. Youll probably love that!
    There is ton of other artists like that to check out, but i was giving you the more mainstream ones, cause probably easier to find some tracks to get into.

Enjoy!

Tech Wizard

Okay, just to clarify are you looking for dancehall that uses electro sounds or are you looking for electro/figet house with dancehall influneces?

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauchsound View Post
    in my opinion most dancehall selectas suck because all they do is crossfade and layer some delay/airhorn or vinyl backspins. most even overdo this.
    Um, as a dancehall listener, you should know that djing dancehall is NOT about mixing two songs together, it is about having the hottest newest song or the most exclusive songs (dubplates). Hence the airhorn to let the crowd know which tracks are new or exclusive.

Tech Wizard

What JeRK said if you are you looking for electro/figet house with dancehall influneces.

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh View Post
    Okay, just to clarify are you looking for dancehall that uses electro sounds or are you looking for electro/figet house with dancehall influneces?
    while i am looking for both i find it way harder to find electro-influenced dancehall than the other way round. check "system" by terry lynn to see what i am looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9PAuzjcxGM

Um, as a dancehall listener, you should know that djing dancehall is NOT about mixing two songs together, it is about having the hottest newest song or the most exclusive songs (dubplates). Hence the airhorn to let the crowd know which tracks are new or exclusive.
    of course of course. and thats what most people just do. but about any crappy soundsytem around has themselves made some dubplates having buju singing "sound x has the largest cohones" maybe they fit into jamaican soundsystem culture but they still suck at djing imo when they fuck up every transitions as soon as theres a new riddim!

i wanna take this a step further by going through selfmade riddims that allow a way smoother transition. that won't stop me from throwing in the wickedest newest tune! also i wanna throw in a heavy electro-influence because thats my new love (or affair if you want to).

if one of you is spinning dancehall and trying hard to get good transitions - let me hear!
    Last edited by illstep; 05-22-2009 at 11:49 PM.

oh and about dubstep: i know and like dubstep, but it doesn't get me going like the genres i named. i enjoy dubstep as a chillout thing but i couldn't dance to it for hours and thats what clubbing is all about to me.

no more input on this? come on!

thank you for the suggestions, jerk. checkin' 'em out right now.