Small Isolator
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Isolator

Tech Guru

Default Small Isolator

Basically I want a 3 Band Isolator in my setup but I want it portable most are big 19" rack mounts

I found the Vestax DFG-X2 but its not for sale anywhere...suggestions on any small ones?
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Electrix EQ Killer

Complete with tunable crossovers and soft punch buttons.

A little less than half a rack width and 1U (I think), so basically 1.5" x 7" ish face.

Unfortunately, Electrix went out of business because people didn't want to pay their prices for their awesome stuff. Might be able to find one used for a good price, though.

Tech Guru

is that more of an external eq or isolator though?
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

It does full cut and has tunable crossovers. What more would you want from an isolator?

Tech Guru

I want a real isolator sound...no just an eq on the master channel like my xone has a full eq kill on each channel I feel like a isolator gives a different depth

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Every Isolator will give you a different sound based on the what frequency range the cut is at,

The one above allows you to adjust the frequency curve to whatever you like as opposed to a vestax unit for example that is set at whatever they want it to be set at.

An Isolator is an EQ, just with complete kill per channel.

What Isolators have you used before to give a rough idea of what you are looking for ?

Something you "might" consider in a 10' rack frame : http://who-invented-digital-vinyl.co.uk/ the Intimidation Apex, direct from the guy who pretty much invented isolators/kills and not bad for 100 euro.

Might be a lil big though :-S
    Last edited by deevey; 05-17-2012 at 03:51 AM.

Im going to suggest the pioneer rmx1000.

Now flame me.

Then look at the videos on youtube of all the old skool djs using. David Morales etc. being able to adjust freq is a touch
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post

Now flame me.
    Actually probably the sensible option really unless you want to isolate 2 sources together :P

BTW theres a pair of EQ killers up on Ebay ATM with no bids which might be worth a looksie .. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electrix-EQ-...item35bc447725

The rmx1000 is all digital. I don't believe that analog things always sound better, period……but there is something to be said about the analog circuitry influencing the signal even with the isolator bands all at unity.

Unfortunately, they're built explicitly to minimize that and even the ones that do color the sound do it in their own way……so getting a sound you like is a) subtle and b) a crap shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post

Now flame me.

Then look at the videos on youtube of all the old skool djs using. David Morales etc. being able to adjust freq is a touch
    The RMX1000 is really cool, but bad example. When David Morales plays he is WAY too heavy on the EQs and filters in my opinion. You really don't need to fade the midrange back and forth on both channels on every single song, do you? Or tweak the filters with max resonance. I guess it makes you look really active behind the decks, which is probably what you want if you're built like Arnold Schwarzenegger and you frequently play without a shirt on, but it kind of sounds annoying after a while.

Now granted I'm basing this entirely off of seeing him at the "3 Kings of House" event at WMC. I saw the same event in LA but I intentionally skipped his set because of the above; maybe he was just giddy to play with the 1000 when I saw him in Miami.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast