New Setup.....Clueless as to what I should do.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default New Setup.....Clueless as to what I should do.

Hiya folks,

I am about to get a completely new setup, and this is what I have in mind:

I plan on hooking up 1210s (as soon as I can afford them lol) to a mixer, and doing a lot of scratching. I know how to beatmatch with vinyl/cdjs, but have no scratching experience(but I want to learn!), which is why I really need help from you experienced turntablists on this one. Also, I am a huge Traktor fanboy, and want to have as much control over the software as possible. To me, it seems like two (well 3 if you include the DJM 900, which really isn't tightly integrated with Traktor, a key feature for me, costs a shitload more, and I would have to buy a lot of other equipment in order to control Traktor) options stand out:

DJM-T1

Pros:

Booth output.
    Smaller than the S4, so better for scratching?
    Better faders.
    Better sound quality.
    More sturdy construction.

Cons:
    No dedicated knobs for filters.
    Controls only 2 decks (I sometimes find myself using 3).
    Can't map all of my hotcues and sample decks.
    No control over loop recorder.

Kontrol S4

Pros:

Can do everything that Traktor offers, the epitome of vertical integration in today's DJing world.

Cons:
    Not as sturdy as the T1.
    Larger, not as good for scratching?
    No booth output.
    Shitty crossfader.

So, if I get an S4, I'll for sure buy an Innobender(Guitar Center Warranties still apply if you install this, booyah!) so I could have a xfader worthy of scratching.

If I get a DJM T-1, I want to buy something that will give me control over another deck and control over the loop recorder(I don't know what though, thoughts and recommendations please?), and I will definitely pick up an F1.

Also, if you have any other suggestions on alternate gear, I would be more than glad to hear them.

Thanks in advance for your guidance folks, this community just makes me
    Last edited by zer0grav; 05-17-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Tech Wizard

im a little confused. you want to scratch with technics and a mixer, but your going to buy a controller?

are you saying you already own a Traktor setup/ interface, or are you saying you dont own this. rather than buy a controller, then get rid of that down the line and buy a turntable setup, id recommedn just saving for longer for the decks. nothing comes close to control and scratching than turntables and a mixer

Tech Wizard

and the good thing about techincs is you can buy them second hand off ebay and they will still last a lifetime. truely built like tanks

tbh, you can't scratch of an S4 very easily at all - I nded up with 2x1210s, and Ecler Nuo 3.0 and an X1 ... suits me.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

S4+Technics+Traktor Scratch = all round win ?

Control over the 4 decks in traktor, control over all FX, Control over sample decks+DVS .. couldn't ask for more than that now could you ?

aside from portability ... I used to find sortig space for my VCI100SE in a booth was hard enough ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Well he was talking about getting techs as well as soon as he can afford them, so portability is out the window anyhows.

Get audio/6/8/10 and a scratch mixer. Vestax... Rane (empath?)

+x1
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Mentor

I agree with MaxOne and Sherlock. just get any normal mixer, you feel comfortable scratching with, and an x1.

I'm a big TSP fan and use it myself....but for scratching only I would prefer a Serato Scratch Live setup.
    Combine that with a nice & simple 2 channel mixer (707, HAK 360, PMC-08, ttm-56, ...) and start practicing.

Don't make scratching harder then it already is (learning curve) with the use of controllers 'n stuff.
    Don't focus on the software, the only reason you need it for is cheap & unlimited scratch samples.
    If they don’t want to see the light…..just make them feel the beat…..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast