HELP!! Really stumped on how to mix theese two songs!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HELP!! Really stumped on how to mix theese two songs!

Hey guys,
    I've been following the blog and the forum for a while now, but its my first time posting.
    So I was recording my new set today (promoter/boss wants it by end of week) and I got really stumped on how to mix these two songs:

In My Mind (Axwell Mix)- Ivan Gough

into

Afrojack (feat Shermanology) - Can't Stop Me

The second song's intro just doesen't have a bassline... I cant find a good drop point and a good point to cross over the bass... I've even tried fooling around with like freeze effects but I can't get it to sound good

SOMEBODY PLEASEE HEEEELP!!!
    This mix needs to sound really professional since I have to hand it over to this new promoter whose been getting some really sweet club gigs for me here in Rio. I also don't want to remove the second song from my set because I think it's one of the strongest ones in there....

Pleasee help!! I'm begging here!

Thanks a lot guys!

This is what means to be a DJ, and how you will make yourself standout. You have to come up with your own way of mixing tunes.

Tech Guru

keep messing around with the echo freeze till you get it right. Also ahd a friend that transitioned into that song by simply taking out the other song and pressing play on cant stop me now, sounded pretty good too...dont know how it would be from in my mind though.

Also agree with what jasonbay said

Wow thanks for the quick replies guys!
    So before I saw your replies I went through and recorded the entire set anyways since my promoter was really nagging me for it...
    This is how that specific transition turned out:

http://soundcloud.com/djnandoreis/transition

What do you guys think? Not to bad right?

So this is what I did, I decided to stop messing with the freeze effects and just brought the intro in with the gain nob almost maxed out. Then I mixed it in just as I would a normal intro, but before that first bass beat drops I quickly lowered the gain back to 0 db and cut the outgoing song.

P.S. While I consider Afrojack a genius, why did he have to give us such a terrible into to mix in to such a great song?!?!

I swear, these guys all have to be using the same ghost writing crew, it's almost scary how similar their tracks sound

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I would have maybe used some filtering around the one minute mark. Well actually I would have never played those two songs, but that's not the point.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

that works

Tech Mentor

If I had no prep, I would actually use the intro of song A to transition into song B - NOT the outro. Right around the 1:00 mark is a great breakdown where you can drop in the lyrics from track B and use echoes and other effects to clean up the transition.

If you want to get a little creative and do a little less needle dropping, I feel like dropping track B's intro on the 1/2 beat would sound cool.

Alternatively, if you don't want to jump right into the lyrics, the 2:00 mark in track B is a pretty good place to start.

Why are you finding these two so hard to mix? Ha. They are pretty similar if you ask me...

Thanks for all your answers guys!

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    If I had no prep, I would actually use the intro of song A to transition into song B - NOT the outro. Right around the 1:00 mark is a great breakdown where you can drop in the lyrics from track B and use echoes and other effects to clean up the transition.

If you want to get a little creative and do a little less needle dropping, I feel like dropping track B's intro on the 1/2 beat would sound cool.

Alternatively, if you don't want to jump right into the lyrics, the 2:00 mark in track B is a pretty good place to start.

Why are you finding these two so hard to mix? Ha. They are pretty similar if you ask me...
    I've only been mixing for about a year and a half so i don't have so much experience with more advanced techniques, not to count the fact that i never had any proper "dj schooling".
    Since this mix needed to sound really professional, i was sort of trying to stick to the basic outro/intro mixing of all of the songs.
    Whenever i'm recording a mix that i'm gonna release i tend to not fool around with more advanced stuff for fear of messing up as i'm recording...

I've been gigging for about a year now, but I started playing in clubs here in Rio de Janeiro a couple of months ago, one of the biggest promoters here from rio listened to some of my sets and he really digged my work so he's been getting me gigs in his clubs.
    Sometimes I just really worry that my mixing might not be up to club standards though... When I listen to my mixing compared to the guys who play before/after me their mixes just sound so flawless and perfect... I don't know if i'm noticing too much what i'm hearing since i'm the one who's mixing or whatever... Well, anyways, i recorded that entire set and i'm gonna upload it to soundcloud... that ways you guys can give me your opinion on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast