Asking for a complete review on Studio Monitors (RP8, VXT8, HS80M, B3031A, and more) - Page 2

View Poll Results: What monitor would you buy?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Behringer Truth B8031A

1 7.14%
  • KRK Rokit RP8G2

1 7.14%
  • Yamaha HS80M

3 21.43%
  • KRK VXT8

5 35.71%
  • Mackie HR824mk2

3 21.43%
  • Genelec 8050A

3 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    The 8" Rockits would sound absolutely ridiculous in my 9 foot by 8 foot studio.
    This is nonsense. There is a need for bigger speakers in bigger rooms, but there's no need to have a small speaker in a small room (apart from that it actually has to fit into the room for sure )
    You simply don't increase the volume of those big speakers as much as you would have done in a big room, but those big speakers definitely won't lose their superiority in sound accuracy and frequency spectrum range (in comparison to smaller speakers) standing in a small room.
    Professional speakers also give you the possibility to adapt their sound a little bit to your room configuration.

In the SAE studio where I was able to test the Mackie HR824 Mk2 they had put the Mackies into a 9 foot by 12 foot room.

^ pretty much. The speakers too big for the room myth needs to die down.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    I wouldn't recommend any nearfield monitors for DJing purposes unless you produce too and can only get one set of speakers. And it all depends on the size of the room. The 8" Rockits would sound absolutely ridiculous in my 9 foot by 8 foot studio.
    I'm looking for some nearfield speakers right now just for DJing at home. How come studio monitors aren't a good choice for DJing with? The whole idea is the nearfield optimization right? I'm using some old hi-fi stuff and it sounds like crap so close to my ears.

I have found that while testing out monitors in a shop I want more and more bass and a fuller low end. The Rokit 8s were barely cutting it and if I got them I would definitely want a sub with it. For dnb and any kind of bass music it just seems essential.

What would be some good nearfield speakers then that have a solid low end?

Just get a sub... for DJing rokkits and KRK sub is great. If you just get nearfield monitors you're not going to be satisfied with any of the low end since they aim for flatter response, so for DJing it's nice to have a sub that you can turn up independently and have far from a flat response and more the type of sound you are used to hearing out. rokkits+10s are great for this (for DJing).

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Just get a sub... for DJing rokkits and KRK sub is great. If you just get nearfield monitors you're not going to be satisfied with any of the low end since they aim for flatter response, so for DJing it's nice to have a sub that you can turn up independently and have far from a flat response and more the type of sound you are used to hearing out. rokkits+10s are great for this (for DJing).
    Yep I was completely unsatisfied with the low end without one! Kick drums just sound like absolute shit from a purely pleasurable listening standpoint. The Rokit 8s sounded quite good with the Yorkville sub in the shop (in Canada, Canadian brand) but there were some yorkville monitors that with the gain turned up a bit on the bass sounded just as good for cheaper. Still wasn't 100% satisfied though to be honest..

Ever tried the Behringer 3031/3030 models? I hear they are quite bassy but the shop I went to nearby doesn't have them in stock. Might be what I'm looking for since accuracy isn't a priority at all.

Tech Guru

Nice to see that my thread is still up, i didn't bought my monitors yet, but gonna do it very soon, I already have the money, just need the time to make room at home and to buy a new desk for my DJing/computer stuff.
    Thank you all for your opinions

Very useful thread for people looking for monitors to DJ at home with. I really believe that most bedroom DJs who don't produce would rather have cheaper but less accurate sound, just to listen to their mixes with something better than, even if good quality ones, PC speakers.

Here in Israel, for example, monitors are damn expensive. A pair of KRK Rokit 5s - that are by far the most seen monitors in the setup threads, and sell in the DJTT store, which I'm sure is far from being the cheapest, for 300$, would cost here around 600$. Crazy prices.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.

Tech Guru

It's the same in Brazil Navad, crazy taxes

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by RockingClub View Post
    My personal attitude is "If you buy cheap stuff you'll at least buy twice". That's why I am now waiting until there is enough money to get Mackie HR824 MK2 while still working on some cheap computer multimedia speakers in the meantime. I already got the chance to test the Mackies in a studio and I really loved their sound. As far as I know their low frequency range and sound quality is far the best in their price and size range.
    What you have to be aware of is that reference monitors (for production purposes) are aimed at playing back your music as accurate as possible.
    They should not give you a bass boost or something like that. But this, on the other hand, could be the reason why you should want to have a second pair of speakers for enjoying or mixing your music. So if you really want to get the best of both worlds you will have to make some concessions.

Out of your selection of three cheaper speakers I would take The Yamaha or Rokit (it's a matter of taste).
    This basically, though for the cheaper segment, you could always check the excellent Mackie MR-5 or MR8.

One thing I can't stress enough: Make sure your studio is big enough for 8" woofers!

If your studio is too small, go for 5".

True, a bigger woofer makes a greater bass, though the bass needs the appropriate space to form. Room for this to take place increases as the size of the woofer increases.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast