when will someone produce a controller for turntablists? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Maybe I don't understand the question but I am pretty sure TT's + 4 channel mixer + midi mappable buttons is all the OP needs...
    which is what is available right now today.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Urkel Dee View Post
    That was a cool project, Hopefully someone will pick it up and finish it... I wish I would have known about this when I was working on the V7 project.
    that was a pretty cool project - not read anything about that since last summer. would be interesting to see if they can get the wow/flutter/jitter to a decent level. they were processing a whole heap of data per revolution from what i remember.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Quote Originally Posted by Kaek View Post
    Maybe I don't understand the question but I am pretty sure TT's + 4 channel mixer + midi mappable buttons is all the OP needs...
    which is what is available right now today.

link a 4 channel SCRATCH CAPABLE mixer with at least a 16x16 monome on it please. like i said i know theres mixers out there with some mapping functionality, they just leave alot to be desired ergonomically, i just cant see cue juggling on buttons that are the size of a pea. ( like a rane 67 or a faderfax unit, or what have you)

the reason i keep refering to the apc40 is that it has enough mappable buttons etc to control every function in traktor. if theres a unit like this , with a real crossfader in it, ive certainly missed it.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

I wanted to put the Innofader into my APC80...but it was not gonna happen.

The mini might go in now, but thats not REALLY scratch fader...like the other Inno's, I have heard.

If I could put 4 NICE line faders and a scratch fader into the APC80....I would be SERIOUSLY happy.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

I think in general companies need to start working with more local djs, some are working with big name djs to design hardware around their flow, but they need to really start working with local guys who have a much simpler work flow. The dicer is a great product, its form factor is fantastic, and is a great example of it. I think a lot of manufacturers are to focused on making something that will replace our existing equipment when they should be focused on adapting to it.

One problem as to why there hasn't been a controller like this is because the companies making DJ products aren't out the change the world or blow anyone's mind. As you can see from the majority of products released this year, the main focus is to cash in on the S4's success. Just about every company that makes DJ products has a controller some kind of 4 channel controller with build in audio interface.

I don't want to sound biased here, but there really aren't enough companies like DJ TechTools that are comprised of DJs and/or DJ-centric people or even just people that think out of the box that make products for DJs, not for people trying to be DJs. To me, that's the big difference that I see. I know that we can't fairly compare DJ TechTools to a company like Vestax or Numark in how their business works. Aside from making money, I'm very certain that their company goals are as different as day and night.

What these companies need are to work with more people that DJ professionally and tend to break the rules. Even just reading this forum, there is a plethora of out of the box ideas that could really push things forward. Put one of those MIDI Fighter super faders on a DJ mixer and give that to Shiftee (or any turntablist). That wouldn't be cool or anything.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

I just don't see the majority of people using turntables actually using something like this. It's a completely niche market, and that does not make money for people making the gear.

Most of the guys who use turntables, for the most part, use a scratch capable 2 channel mixer, and two turntables. Nothing super fancy, but it's done the trick for years. For people who want to add something on, they get an additional controller.

You have to understand that this stuff isn't super club friendly either. Bringing your own mixer to an event or club? Really? It's not going to fly often unless you are throwing things yourself. Getting used to the standard equipment? That's a lot more realistic.

I mean hell, I still pack my 1200's into my car and bring them out for afterparties, alongside what sound equipment I have. Would using a controller be better? Probably? Would I be as satisfied, and would it look as professional? Definitely not.

The line between using controllers and software and analogue equipment is being blurred to an extent, but how much is really the question. Two turntables and a mixer, and a DVS package is more than enough for most people mixing. In fact, I prefer people who don't get overly complicated, and I'll say the majority of mixes I've heard from people on controllers have been wayyy too busy. Personal opinion, but just putting it out there.

There's something to be said for keeping your standard mixer and turntables in one boat, and then pushing technology with controllers in another. I don't really see the point of TT's if you're really pushing controllerism, and vice-versa.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

well im seeing a fair amount of heads mention that their perfect mixer would in fact be a apc with scratch capable faders in it, so theres your niche market? ive been rocking 2 tts and a 2 channel mixer for 17 years, after using traktor for a year, this is what im seeing as being the answer. clubs ive mixed at are using tts and cdjs side by each, and it wouldnt take long to simply replace the djm with this and jam out. im sorry i want to scratch and rock cue points and effects, and to me turntablism and controlerism were made for each other , not to be opposites.
    Last edited by Deejaesnafu; 05-22-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Quote Originally Posted by Louie_V View Post
    lot of manufacturers are to focused on making something that will replace our existing equipment when they should be focused on adapting to it.
    on the mark man. i think its because controllers for djing is still fairly young, that right now all these companies are trying to make a product thats easily distinguished from thier competitors that they feel theyve got to focus on this idea of "replacing our gear" instead of supplementing it. the all in ones make them great money because even expensive controllers they get a lot of cash flow from the consumer market. i think a lot of companies are fine with this though, because even if a pro uses a controller the public perception is that its a more amateur thing to use, so then they turn the idea of an upgrade into really a vanity purchase. the industry really reinforces this idea that its got to be one or the other, these big companies their whole goal is growth so many feel they need to sell a product with a short turn around time before they have to come up with a new product.

why not get the pioneer djmt1, install an innofader, get some technics and some dicers, then you have a midi/hid capable mixer with spare knobs to map for effect parameters/sample volume, you have buttons for cues loops and transport etc...a soundcard for hooking up dj software but with an analog scratch crossfader. And you have an extra 36 triggers for each deck in the dicers for cues, samples, loops, instant effects like beatmasher...

I have seen djmt1's go for $800 from dj stores in Australia, dicers are $125, innofaders are $140 so your looking at just over $1000 for the controller aspect of your setup, and that would be everything you need for some future turntablist tricknology.

**disclaimer - not sure if the innofader fits as its not on the list http://www.innofader.com/compatible.php**
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast