When is it worth going to CDJ-2000s
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default When is it worth going to CDJ-2000s

Realistically when is it worth the investment of purchasing a CDJ-2000 setup? I know it all varies on your needs and wants in DJing, etc...

Ive only been back into digital doing for a few months and only doing house parties etc on a Zone DX, i do like it for the mobility and small size, but it leaves me wanting more. I want more control, more effects, just MORE... Going the CDJ route is certainly the most expensive option, but when I do things I like to go all out and give it my all. At my age I have no idea if playing big venues will ever happen, but house parties are a definite and local clubs I hope to get there some day.

I play more progressive house, with the occasional dub step tracks. Midi controllers is certainly something I would like to add to my setup as well. But I am looking to get the most out of my equipment and have best at my fingertips to learn from.

thanks for the tips

I quit H**kers & blow for a while and pow...hello bankroll ;p

On a more serious note, it just depends how bad you want them.
    In no way I make enough with dj-ing to earn back the investment...but I don't care, I buy cdj's another guy likes motorbikes or camera's.
    If they don’t want to see the light…..just make them feel the beat…..

Tech Wizard

There is not very many hobbies that make you money to pay for it, unless of course you are 1 of the lucky few. My return on investment is just the best music I can play, thats all I want. If Im better off with a VCI-380 or VCI-400 it is what it is. I hate buying sub-par equipment that leaves me wanting more and then I end up selling it for half price and just spending money on something else ya know

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I want more control, more effects, just MORE...
    CDJ's aren't really going to give you more effects, they will certainly give you the tactility of hardware and better frame of reference for playing in clubs, but unless you are going for an effects rack / mixer as well :-S

If you want most of the features of the CDJ's without the high $ could look at the Gemini CDJ700 which was discussed a few threads back - they are only $499 a piece, look pretty damn good with virtually all the bells and whistles (and a few more) thrown in -

Of course you could always pair them with your existing DX and use them as midi controllers as well with Traktor would make a pretty decent pairing IMHO if you map the jogs on the DX to Decks / CD and use the CDJ's as A/B, you'd have oodles to play with for about 1k investment (and 2k less than CDJ2000's).

Tech Wizard

Yes I would be pairing it was a DJM 900 as well

Spending that much on a pair of decks just to be part of a club and not in the club is a huge waste IMHO. But no judgements because I have to curb my lust for pretty lights as well. I'd recommend what deevey says or go for the NDX800 from Numark. Same concept, maybe not as refined but will keep you engaged and prepared for the club if/when you make it. Hopefully pioneer will eventually have to start making their gear more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Spending that much on a pair of decks just to be part of a club and not in the club is a huge waste IMHO. But no judgements because I have to curb my lust for pretty lights as well. I'd recommend what deevey says or go for the NDX800 from Numark. Same concept, maybe not as refined but will keep you engaged and prepared for the club if/when you make it. Hopefully pioneer will eventually have to start making their gear more reasonable.
    I didn't buy them because I wanted be part of the club....like previous poster I just don't compromise when it comes to dj gear.

Doing good research when buying gear is saving me big $$'s, buying second hand is another great option to get expensive gear for cheap. I'm not tempted by new gimmicks anymore and find it strange that people find CDJ's expensive but love to integrate an ipad or a $800 midi controller in their set-up.

But that is just me...
    If they don’t want to see the light…..just make them feel the beat…..

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDrama View Post
    I didn't buy them because I wanted be part of the club....like previous poster I just don't compromise when it comes to dj gear.

Doing good research when buying gear is saving me big $$'s, buying second hand is another great option to get expensive gear for cheap. I'm not tempted by new gimmicks anymore and find it strange that people find CDJ's expensive but love to integrate an ipad or a $800 midi controller in their set-up.

But that is just me...
    I agree with you on this. In other hobbies I have always tried to cut corners and buy cheap things and try to customize it to my needs and in the long run I either end ups scrapping the whole thing and go the more expensive route or it just costs a ton to customize. Regardless I have learned the cheaper way always turns out the more expensive way. If it is worth it, I do not mind spending the money to have great gear. Im not trying to be part of some elite club, I just want to be able to maximize my potential and have gear that is not going out of style quickly.

I love controllers, but lets face it, every few months something new and better is out there. Technic 1200s were the hit thing years ago and everyone wanted to be part of that "club" well here we are a decade plus later and some of the best DJs still use them and people are still trying to buy them.

Im here trying to learn from my mistakes and others which is why I am looking for advice.

I did have some interest in the Gemini 700s but most reviews I read were not all that great, but I will look more into it as the reviews I remember reading were earlier reviews

Tech Convert

It's not worth that kind of money EVER and by getting that second mortgage you are only justifying to them that it is ok to charge this much and prob even more on the next release.

I swear it's like some of you guys have never been to the store and even tried anything else sometimes.

Tech Wizard

I must say that was the most educational response I have received.

I have played on various other setups, and IMO i feel the CDJ route is where I want to go. Im looking for advice, not an occupy wall street movement about american greed.

I have went through 2 setups, which combined probably cost double CDJ 2000s, therefore this time around I would rather do it right.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast