Suddenly no sound from VCI-400 EGE with Traktor 2
    Tech Student

Default Suddenly no sound from VCI-400 EGE with Traktor 2

Hello to everybody,

I have some strange problem with Traktor 2.1.3 on a brand new MacBook Pro and the VCI-400 EGE. After some time of playing the sound output of the VCI suddenly stops on all outputs, while the track is still running. Trakor remains fully responsive to the controllers commands. When I try to shutdown Traktor I get a window saying "flushing backround tasks". As for now I have not found a reliable pattern. It appears to "just happen".
    Funny enough I also experienced the exact same problem on a Lenovo Notebook and I made some crappy hardware responsible but now that the MacBook also shows the problem I feel quite shocked...

I have found nothing else on the web so I thought I give it a try here. If someone has some hints please let me now. I am going to try to play a bit with Fullscreen Settings and Dual Core Support. At least the fullscreen setting gave me some rare trouble in the past...

Best,

Ben

Hej,

I also had that problem on one of my latest gig with the VCI-400. Just no sound, while traktor seems to work. Happend 3 times that night. What I noticed was that my laptop lost connectivity with the VCI-400. Because my laptop is a bit older (I use a windows laptop) and has "old" usb connections that I don't trust them that much; so I changed my USB cable and the USB-port I was using in the middle of my set. The problem didn't occur anymore that night. While I am still hoping that it was a cable problem. I Just played a really short set after that without problems, so can't say anything more.

Maybe you can try that too?!
    Last edited by sebdotdj; 05-28-2012 at 02:08 AM. Reason: grammar

Tech Student

Hi,

Thanks for your advice! I have also exchanged my USB-Cable with one of higher quality. My last very small gig was on Sunday and again sound output stopped working after about 90 Minutes.
    Honestly, I have no idea what to do next. I have replaced almost everything but the VCI, tweaked Traktors settings and the problem still persists. My final conclusion is that there must be something wrong with my VCI unit, so I will ask DJTT for a replacement if there are no more suggestions for troubleshooting.

Update: For testing I had Traktor run in cruise mode for at least 12 hours without any problem. My issue appears to happen only if I interact with the controller. For a second test, I have disconnected the USB-Cable during playback. Traktor happily continued playing after a short pause after reconnection. Same behaviour when disconnecting/reconnecting the controllers power supply. So I think that my problem is not the result of just some wacky cable connections.

So what is left for testing is to revert to the original DJTT-Mapping as I made some small modifications to use the scratch wheels for track browsing...
    Last edited by DeziBen; 06-05-2012 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Update

Tech Wizard

So you think that a mapping edit is causing the problem? I tweaked FlashFlooder's VCI-400 EGE DJTT mapping and suddenly I'm getting the "Flushing background tasks' dialogue and freeze when I try and shut down...
    www.andpartyandbullshit.com
    http://soundcloud.com/andpartyandbullshit/xmix_1-by-jpw

VCI-400 EGE, A&H Xone 92, A&H Xone 22, A&H ZED14, 2 x Technics 1210, 2 x Void Mycro 10, QSC RMX2450.

Tech Student

My problem was indeed related to my customized mapping. I reverted back to the DJTT original mapping and did all modifications from scratch with a bit more thinking. I realised that in my old mapping while in browser mode and using the wheels for choosing a track traktor also seeked through the stopped track. Because of this I think that the controller produced a massive amount of MIDI traffic that somehow "overloaded" Traktor. With my fixed mapping the problem has vanished.