My interpretation of real progressive house

Default My interpretation of real progressive house

ok, For some time I have had a beef with what the common perception of progressive House is, well atleast as is demonstrated by beatports interpretation of it... so here is a 2 part recording of a set I recently played at Deejay Cafe Bali. This is my interpretation of Progression.

http://soundcloud.com/djdeepsea/deej...may-2nd-part-1

http://soundcloud.com/djdeepsea/dee

For clarification, I play out on cdj's however recording levels were horrible so I quicly recorded setlist at home using traktor and DB4.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

I always find it funny when people starting calling a specific sound "Progressive House" when it was actually more of a playing style and philosophy.

Up to about 2004, 2005 there was not "Progressive House" genre. Back in the late 80's, early to mid 90's most DJ's only played one style because vinyl was so expensive as it was and it was difficult to really dig deep and learn about many genres because the information was really limited to your area and local DJ's and record shops.

But then some guys had the time, money and ear to actually start digging and looking across the board as they had the privilege of traveling across the world and digging through many record stores and having a chance to find stuff that they really wouldn't have known about if they weren't out and about.

So now these guys started to mix a little bit if everything. They weren't just deep house DJ's, or techno DJs, or breakbeat DJ's, they were all of these and yet none of them at the same time. They truly created a unique listening experience with their unique and diverse track selections with their impeccable programming skills. The started to label this playing style as "progressive" and each "progressive" DJ was unique from one another as there really weren't "progressive" records.

Then something happened in 2004-2005. Couldn't tell you what happened exactly, except there was a backlash to the term "progressive" as it started to take on a whole new and different meaning with this sudden influx of music coming that started to call itself "Progressive House" (when it was nothing more than slowed down trance in my opinion, but that's for another post!).

So now all these DJs, who were still being "progressive" and were digging and playing different sounds started to get a lot of flack from their long time fans. At this point they were trying as hard as they could to separate themselves from the term "progressive" even though they were going about business as always and weren't doing anything different than they were in the previous 10+ years to this point. That was digging for new and different sounds and mixing them and programming them together in a coherent way that made for a unique experience that you couldn't get just from a "Techno" DJ or a "Breakbeat" DJ.

With all that being said, I am curious to hear what you consider to be "progressive".

And could you post a tracklisting as well mate?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBay View Post
    I always find it funny when people starting calling a specific sound "Progressive House" when it was actually more of a playing style and philosophy.

Up to about 2004, 2005 there was not "Progressive House" genre. Back in the late 80's, early to mid 90's most DJ's only played one style because vinyl was so expensive as it was and it was difficult to really dig deep and learn about many genres because the information was really limited to your area and local DJ's and record shops.

But then some guys had the time, money and ear to actually start digging and looking across the board as they had the privilege of traveling across the world and digging through many record stores and having a chance to find stuff that they really wouldn't have known about if they weren't out and about.

So now these guys started to mix a little bit if everything. They weren't just deep house DJ's, or techno DJs, or breakbeat DJ's, they were all of these and yet none of them at the same time. They truly created a unique listening experience with their unique and diverse track selections with their impeccable programming skills. The started to label this playing style as "progressive" and each "progressive" DJ was unique from one another as there really weren't "progressive" records.

Then something happened in 2004-2005. Couldn't tell you what happened exactly, except there was a backlash to the term "progressive" as it started to take on a whole new and different meaning with this sudden influx of music coming that started to call itself "Progressive House" (when it was nothing more than slowed down trance in my opinion, but that's for another post!).

So now all these DJs, who were still being "progressive" and were digging and playing different sounds started to get a lot of flack from their long time fans. At this point they were trying as hard as they could to separate themselves from the term "progressive" even though they were going about business as always and weren't doing anything different than they were in the previous 10+ years to this point. That was digging for new and different sounds and mixing them and programming them together in a coherent way that made for a unique experience that you couldn't get just from a "Techno" DJ or a "Breakbeat" DJ.

With all that being said, I am curious to hear what you consider to be "progressive".

And could you post a tracklisting as well mate?
    wow, thourouly enjoyable and appreciated response JB. I didnt know to be honest where the term was first coined and for what reason as my history with "progressive house" first began in 2007. I know these days its completly subjective when talking about genres, but it still erks me a little to see what these days people are calling Proggesive..... Come to think of it, its a bit of a blessing really as I primarily use beatport, 70% of the tracks I use require a little digging, i guess if beatport was more inline with what i thought was prog than it would be easier to find, and well theres not a lot of things more satisfying than finding a great obscure track that your pretty sure not many other people are playing....

Set list to come later today, admittidly there are a lot of jerome ismae, daniel portman and weekend hero's produstions, but thats just the way the mix came out that night.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

Hey JB, id be interested to see aht you thought? The pt isnt complete, its missing 30 minutes of the end, souncloud or my connection dosnt want to play nice atm