Audio 6 and multi cores - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Glad you posted this. I've been unplugging still.

Does the A6 and A10 work like the new SL boxes now?

With my Sl3 if I just unplugged the USB cable from the computer it would instantly switch to thru mode with the ac adapter connected. I know on the A6 and A10 you can set the thru mode in the soundcard control panel but what happens if you yank the cord out?

The way the new SL cards do it makes the most sense to me- not a fan of the SL1 method or no thru option on the card itself at all on the A8 without running through traktor or using splitters.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 05-25-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    That's a little extreme isn't it? If you're not doing a lot of switching between vinyl and timecode there is no reason to carry around bulky multicores and fiddle with hooking up more stuff to a mixer and your soundcard.
    Enh. 30 seconds worth of work once or having to actually touch the laptop in order to play vinyl. Meh.

I have an NI Audio 6, a Torq Connectiv, and regularly play with friends that use a Serato SL1 or SL3.

Honestly, I think the best implementation was with the Torq box. It has a big ass knob to switch between the input and laptop signals. You just turn it one way or the other and it works as long as the interface is getting some sort of power, USB or AC. No switching in software or dealing with extra cables and routing.

It also works well using Torq software as an effects processor, since you to can apply the built-in effects (or VST) on the input signal (a vinyl record or the mic input) and you have a real analog wet/dry knob. Too bad Torq didn't really catch on.
    Make beats. Write rhymes. Spin music. Throw parties. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

CHECK ME OUT:
    www.djcoolout.com
    www.cooloutmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by coolout View Post
    Too bad Torq didn't really catch on.
    …and that it introduced short phase shifts that sounded horrid if the knob was anywhere but at its extreme positions.

…and that it had ridiculous sticker drift.

…and that the software kinda sucked compared to most of its competitors.

…and that it took years to get an update.

…and that' it's made by a company that obviously doesn't give a shit about DJs (I actually like Avid, but DJs don't matter compared to their other markets).

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    …and that it introduced short phase shifts that sounded horrid if the knob was anywhere but at its extreme positions.

…and that it had ridiculous sticker drift.

…and that the software kinda sucked compared to most of its competitors.

…and that it took years to get an update.

…and that' it's made by a company that obviously doesn't give a shit about DJs (I actually like Avid, but DJs don't matter compared to their other markets).
    Not to hijack this thread and turn this into some debate about Torq...but I will say:

1. If you experienced phase shifts while using effects with the connectiv it was probably because you were mixing the analog input signal with the pass through from the computer...which is a no no. You're basically mixing a direct signal with a copy of same signal delayed by some milliseconds, so even at the lowest latency it's going to sound bad. You have to set the internal effects at 100% wet and only use the direct dry signal/knob on the connectiv. I've done plenty of live shows like that and it works perfectly.

2. I've haven't experience any noticeable sticker drift since Torq 1.5 or so. Then again, I also never use absolute (only relative mode) with timecode vinyl. I'll rock doubles a la mixtape style, but I don't do a lot of hardcore battle-style beat juggling.

3. I own Traktor and an Audio 6. I also have a Mixtrack Pro I use with VDJ, and I own a variety of different midi controllers. I've tried probably every DJ app on the market at one time or another. I still prefer Torq for my regular weekend gigs. I personally wouldn't say it sucks...to each his own I guess. Honestly, I'd use Traktor more if it had parallel waveforms. I live by parallel waveforms.
    Make beats. Write rhymes. Spin music. Throw parties. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

CHECK ME OUT:
    www.djcoolout.com
    www.cooloutmusic.com

Yeah…there are reasons to like it.

I'm just saying there are a whole host of reasons it never caught on as well as SSL and TS.

Since we're talking about multicores does anyone have a decent alternative? I'm using a handful of cheap RCA splitters but it's a huge mess. The NI cables would be sweet but I can think of better uses of £75
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Build a copy. They're not exactly complicated.

How do you make a clean 3 way join between cables?
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast