Anyone in the navy? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Im sure they allow tattoos. unless its on your face or neck... arm tattoos are most likely acceptable, just google it.

Tech Wizard

Im in the Air Force, however, my aunt and uncle are both officers in the navy. The branches are pretty much the same when it comes to the tattoo and piercing thing. Depending on if you have any now, they will usually be ok with it. The rule for getting them after you come in is pretty simple. They cant cover more than 1/4 of the appendage(arm, leg, whatever), must be covered while in uniform, can not be offensive in anyway and can not be on the right hand(no tattoo visible when you salute).

As for DJ'ing while on active duty, i found it a great stress reliever and great hobby. It all depends on managing your time properly between work and any other off duty school or training. I was in korea for a year and was able to get gigs at local clubs that paid pretty well, plus free food and booze. Now that i am in england and just had a kid, i still try to make as much time as possible to practice and goof around. You really need to promote yourself A LOT if you are going to DJ any military gigs, such as group or wing parties, plus it gets you in with the big mucky mucks.

The only downside is if you were to get a consistent gig with a club or company, you will need to get it approved by your leadership if it is going to be a legit paying job, only because you are under contract to work for the government strictly. Most of the time they usually dont have any problems as long as it doesnt interfere with your normal duties.

hope this helps. if you have any other questions, let me know!

Thanks everyone for the great information.

Sadly, I went and spoke with a recruiter which going in I figured I wouldn't be given a shot. I won't be able to join because I have tattoos in unwanted places. I'd go through the trouble to laser them off but I have given it a lot of thinking and I rather go another way and go back to school.

I know you're mainly looking at the Navy, but the Army is MUCH more lenient about tattoo's. Just wanted to put that out there.

I've /almost/ joined a couple of times, and I did 2.5 years in ROTC before having to drop out because I didn't score a scholarship and couldn't pay for it.

The Armed Forces are a good foundation to move on from. A lot of people find good spots to grow and really enjoy their careers in the forces, but it really depends on the person and what you're actually doing.

But I'd say give the other branches a look. I know the Army fairly recently changed their policy to allow more recruitment from people with tattoo's, as long as they aren't brutally offensive or gang related really.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

They pay for schooling, pay for medical and dental and you get to live with them for free of charge.

My friends in the national guard, other branches call them weekend warriors. All they do is train on the weekends and still get paid good money, he has no bills and 90 grand saved up he's 22 years old and now in thailand training soldiers over there. So he gets to travel and pays nothing for what he's doing. I'm trying to get my math test finished up on my g.e.d then ill be aiming to join the national guard.

...and you even get a silver star for blowing up some alien space ships with a 70 years old vessel. i even heard rihanna and liam neeson are in the navy
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    ...and you even get a silver star for blowing up some alien space ships with a 70 years old vessel. i even heard rihanna and liam neeson are in the navy
    Holycow! really? :P

But I've asked my friend who is in the navy she likes it and lives in cali would be pretty nice. I'll have to go speak to someone again about another branch but pretty sure i'll get the same answer seeing as I have 3 tattoos in the most visible places. (hand & neck)

lazer surgery can fix that. not sure if it leaves scars or not.

Tech Mentor

I was in the Air Force for 6 Years and 8 months. I was lucky enough to stay at one base my whole enlistement. I had my Tables, Mixer, and speaker set up sent to me. LoL boy did my dorm mates either love me or hate me as I blasted my music on some JBL EON 15". Partied a lot. My schedule varied during my whole career. Either had a Mon-Fri shift or a Panama shift that is 3 on 2 off 2 on 3 off. So you basicly had every other weekened off. In the Air Force you have a more stable quality of life vs any other branch. If you join the navy expect to be on ship every other 6 months. Which you can not take your gear with you.

I would consider the Air Force if you want to still have some civilian style liberties.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12