Anyone in the navy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone in the navy?

I was curious as to how many people who DJ are in the navy. If anyone can tell me exactly what they do and how much time do they have to practice while enlisted. I'm pretty interested at joining seeing as I am going to be 21 next week and still don't know what i really wanna do. I'm also curious as to what they don't allow you to have in the navy such as piercings/tattoos.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowd3ontrol View Post
    I'm also curious as to what they don't allow you to have in the navy such as piercings/tattoos.
    This is definitely a question better directed toward the Navy.

As for your first question, demands on sailors' time are considerable. Do you really want to enlist, or are you perhaps interested training in something that could be used in both the service and as a civilian? By the latter, I mean anything from becoming a firefighter to training as an engineer or physicist.

I'm not really sure figured I would just enlist and go from there. It seems to be a better opinion at this point than just being completely confused in what I wanna do.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You really should probably talk to a recruiter.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I'm 34 years old, and NEVER considered joining any of the forces. I work in Defence, and I deal with a lot of people that have been in the Navy.

If I had my time over, I would give the Navy SERIOUS consideration as a career.

This is the wrong place for these questions. There are Navy internet forums, where you'll get the opinions of people currently serving - they may be a little biased, though...

I suppose what I'm saying is don't dismiss it too soon. Do some research and see what you decide.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Im in the mercant Navy, And I would never join the Navy....not these days anyway... Im an Ships Engineer and as a prt of my training we are taught everything that encompasses Engineering and more onboard... In the Nay they are only going to teach you one part of a very small job as this is effiecint for them.... heres an analogy.... picture your trained a s a dj, you learn everything from searching tracks, track quality... playing out, manging library, bal bla bla....everything.... if you were a navy deejay they might only teach you how and when to operate one fader because thats allthey need you too know. They have another man for everyother aspect....In the navy you will be living in close quaters with a lot of people on board which dosnt lend itself to finding adiquate time and space for deejaying....Im at work now, on a quiet day I can manage my whole 12 watch almost doing dj related things and I get payed for it. I can manage my time plus I almost have my whole watch to myself apart from my motoerman and the occasional visitor. My KRK VXT 4 are positioned by the computer and I pump it everyday... My honest opinion would be too look at the merchant navy, its a hard thing to get into, but more freedom, now war! better money, 4 times as much time off - payed time off. the navy is good if your a little lost, need a little disapline, whilst I mentioned I dont feel the training is as versitile as it once was, i would say that if you did a few years in the navy it would hold you in good stead for a job elswhere afterwards, regardless of wether all you learnt was how to say yes sir, master the art of close quater mastibation and how to engange that one channel fader.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

Plus the recruiter will bullshit you, yes he will say... dj sure + u get to travel the world...havnt you seen the adds.... bullshit... you may get to see a few ports around the world, but dont forget that when you do get to these ports every once in a while your there with 500 other horny fucktards you work with.... sasuage fest wherever you are.... Ive seen it, I was in dubai alongside when the US ronald Reagean was alongside as well.... the night before the new york hhotel had a wide selection of attractive working girls at a reasonabal price.... next night there was none, well atleast none that hadnt been through a few sailors that night, and hey, guess hwat the price doubled.... so yer, in your little navy jump suit, girls are more worn out and expensive.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

At least he will have a job and a military background, free medical and dental.

I say join any branch while you can. Its a new and good experience, I'm signing up for a different branch.
    Last edited by hola amigos; 05-25-2012 at 09:34 PM.

I was in the mens dept of the Navy (nh, nm)...USMC. I loved it. I didnt get to dj as much, but heck I sure did travel. Did my time on a ship and we did have a couple of DJs that would play for events on the ship while at sea. On in days i think its easier to dj in the service due to the compact size. I was still using Vinyl when I got in and jumped on to the digital side when I hit Japan in 2003-2005
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

I've done a bit of research mostly going to get one sided responses if i look through any navy sites seeing as they just want you to join. I would just think it would give me some sense of direction and when i wanted to go back to school i would be paid for . I tried the whole computer science degree I understand most of it because soon realized I couldn't spend the rest of my life sitting programming at least 40 hours a week on a computer. Currently I'm just freelancing doing some company websites. I'll most likely go speak to a recruiter only for the tattoo restrictions since I can easily remove all my piercings but I do have half a sleeve and a few other tattoos else where that could cause issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast