Creating the ultimate Maschine FX Mapping... Looking for your suggestions!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Creating the ultimate Maschine FX Mapping... Looking for your suggestions!

Hello everyone,

Recently I decided to finally replace my PadKontrol with my Maschine for the MF IG FX mapping. I ended up using Ben Grimm's mapping for the IG effects (http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=28948) and also came across Paul1265's Ultimate Maschine Mapping (http://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/171), which is excellent for controlling everything else in Traktor. Was pleased with having everything I was using on the PadKontrol onto my Machine and now having complete control of everything else too, but I felt it was still lacking. I wanted new effects and to implement new techniques. So that brings me to the project I've been working on for 3 days now. Taking Ben Grimm's mapping and turning it into an Ultimate FX Mapping to compliment Paul's mapping, which only takes one button combo to change over to quickly.

I've been wrapping my brain is what all I want to implement into this. I have only done a few test mappings in Traktor, but the Maschine is just about fully mapped out in the Controller Editor. So, here's what I have so far:

Pad Pages:
    A-D: "MidiFighter Instant Grat" Paul's mapping turning Maschine into a MidiFighter, mapped for Instant Gratification.
    E: "The Plooper/Loop Synth" Combining Shiftee's Plooper, Ean's Loop Synth, and some other techniques into a full on monster combo for target deck.
    F: "Beatslicer Fun!" Creating fun playable mapped across all pads for the Beatslicer.
    G: "Jugglin'" Cue Point Juggling
    H: SuperButton FX

Knob Pages:
    Page 1: Direct FX Controls for Units 1&2.
    Page 2: Direct FX Controls for Units 3&4.
    Page 3: "The Plooper/Loop Synth" with SuperKnobs and FX Presets.
    Page 4: "Jugglin'" FX
    Page 5: SuperKnob/SuperButton Page not related to the Plooper, such as ArmyOfMe's Superknob.
    Page 6: FX Preset loading

FX Type Controls:
    Control/Step/Browse/Sampling buttons change FX units from Single to Multi-FX modes.

Filter Control:
    Snap/Auto Write/Note Repeat Buttons turn on/off filters for A/B/C&D.
    Volume/Tempo/Swing knobs control filters for A/B/C&D.

Deck Focus:
    Restart/</>/Grid Buttons switch deck focus to A/B/C/D, stolen from Ben Grimm's mapping for consistency when switching between them.

Deck FX On/Off:
    Scene/Pattern/Pad Mode/Navigate turn FX units 1/2/3/4 on/off on Focus Deck.

Most Likely will be Modifiers Buttons:
    Duplicate/Select/Solo/Mute - Not sure if these will stay this way yet, figure out how I'm working this part.

Play/Rec/Erase buttong are unmapped at this time, figuring out the best way to use these still.

I'll be releasing this mapping to everyone when finished of course, but I'm here to take suggestions while I'm still working everything out.

- What would you like to see in a mapping like this?
    - Have a good workflow idea with FX?
    - Favorite Combos/Presets? Post them here! Doesn't matter if it's a single unit preset, combo unit preset, or a preset that uses any combination of the FX units.
    - If you have your Combos/Presets mapped out to your controller with your workflow and can send me the .tsi to look at, awesome!

I'm basically going through all the posts and videos I can find on FX combinations to integrate. I've still got plenty of space to put in a lot of combinations and presets and simply looking for content here. Once I start actually programming the Traktor mapping and not just the Maschine part, I'll start updating on here so you can see what I'm getting done!
    Last edited by TreTuna; 05-26-2012 at 01:23 PM.
    Tre Tuna
    DJ and Recording and Mixing engineer for live and studio sound
    Traktor Pro 2.7.1 | MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4gigs ram
    Stanton STR8-150s | Ortofon Q-Bert Carts
    NI Z2, F1, Machine MK I, RigKontrol 3 | Dicers | PadKontrol

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

+1 idea

Personally, I would keep direct FX controls for all four FX units in single page if possible so there could be one more free layer to map something more expressive I guess.

Which buttons did you dedicate to be page selection and does those pages effect only to pads and knobs above it?

I wish I could have all 4 FX units on one page, but without another 8 knobs it doesn't really work. I have an X1 to set along side this for control of all 4 units, X1 controlling 1&2 while the Maschine is on 3&4. It is setup to where you can switch pages to units 3&4 with one button though. The pages are setup just as Maschine does them in the Controller Editor with the upper <> buttons switching pages for the knobs and upper buttons, and the A-H buttons changing pages on the pads. This does only include pages for the 8 Buttons/knobs at the top and the pads, not the other sections on the left. I'm figuring these out now with modifiers, last process I gotta wrap my head around today before I start plugging into Traktor's mapping page for hours.
    Tre Tuna

Thanks for the input. I've never played with Maschine and control editor before so I didn't actually know about this pages sending different MIDI notes that can be mapped with out need for additional modifiers. This actually gives me idea how to make all four FX units put in a one page... I need to know how many knob pages can be selected at all?

You can only have one knob page selected at any given time, but you can have as many pages for the knobs as you want. Thing is, with the knobs/upper button pages, you have to scroll through them with those two buttons at the top. Unlike the pad pages, which you only get 8 of and correspond to which page/group button (A-H) is selected.

This makes it easier to go directly to a Pad Page, and harder to sort through the knob pages since you have to scroll sequentially. This is why I'm putting the FX preset pages at the end of the knob page list. So you can load a preset and go quickly to FX Units 1&2 or 3&4 within two button presses.

If you've got an idea to map them all to one page, please let me know if you find out a way to do it. I'm starting to program a rough draft of the Traktor .tsi right now, will be a messy version of it until I figure out everything exactly the way I want it. Once I figure the final release version I'll reprogram it cleanly. I've got about 75% of the functionality and design done at the moment, still figuring out the rest, but want to test some ideas at my gig tonight. Mainly figuring out how I want to use the modifiers and run certain controls.

I'll see if I can upload some screenshots of the controller editor with how I'm mapping it currently.
    Tre Tuna

Here's a link to a gallery with screenshots of what I have planned in Maschine's Control Editor so far. You can't see some of the labels on there due to size constraints. I've moved the FX unit on/off to the upper left buttons as I think it'll look better and using a modifier to change those form FX unit on/off to FX type. The LEDs will illuminate with which FX units are on for the focused deck. Filter knobs are possibly going to double as FX selector knobs.

Trying to decide if I want to use modifiers and the pad pages for FX presets, or the knob pages.... I'm trying to match up the knob pages to the pad pages for the most part, so I may go with the modifier method instead. Right now I only have plans for 2 modifiers, the MF Mappings are separate so I can clear the modifiers for this full mapping. One is for the master section and one is used in the Plooper for changing key from low to high octaves on the pads as I'm planning a keyboard style section with the Plooper. It will have a one Octave range either way dependent on the modifier.

Most the corresponding knob pages haven't been mapped out yet due to simply figuring out what FX to preset into them to. Same with the BeatSlicer pads, still deciding on all the preset values for each pad. I haven't given the Jugglin' page a lot of thought just yet, so that's going to change up too. Right now it's just set for cue points.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/86807...%20FX?h=2cb993
    Last edited by TreTuna; 05-26-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    Tre Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by TreTuna View Post
    Here's a link to a gallery with screenshots of what I have planned in Maschine's Control Editor so far.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/86807...%20FX?h=2cb993
    Your plan is to use pages A-D for individual deck IG? If so, I got suggestion how to compress all to page A with usage of four transport buttons and one modifier assigned to page A button. It's not very complicate because include single modifier and all you need to do is map those four transport buttons to corresponding FX unit On commands to four decks(with modifier conditions you added before to page A button). Do you get the idea?

This decalized FX unit selector is actually a part of my keyboard mapping so you ca check it out.

maschine mapping help.tsi

There is also one generic MIDI with IG correct parameters and masher combo if you need it.

I like the FX unit on idea! Didn't really think about that. Though that doesn't give you as much control if you want to use say FX Units 1 & 2 on Deck and 3 & 4 on Deck B. If the Focus set them all on for that deck, then it would blend the effects for all decks and not allow you to select certain effects for certain decks. Idea is not just speed, which maybe I'll use a modifier to do that with the Focus buttons, but also versatility here.

As for the IG pages, I'm not understanding how you're doing that one. The 4 pages was the plan for the moment as you can't assign a modifier to the Page A button in the Controller Editor, and in Maschine's Midi mode, with the Pads in Page mode, those buttons do not send a midi signal out so there's not really a way to modify that. I do kinda like the fast switching on those too by having them direct mapped to the four buttons, but could also use those pages for other things.

Looking over that .tsi now.
    Tre Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by TreTuna View Post
    I like the FX unit on idea! Didn't really think about that. Though that doesn't give you as much control if you want to use say FX Units 1 & 2 on Deck and 3 & 4 on Deck B. If the Focus set them all on for that deck, then it would blend the effects for all decks and not allow you to select certain effects for certain decks. Idea is not just speed, which maybe I'll use a modifier to do that with the Focus buttons, but also versatility here.
    I think that deck focus got nothing to do with FX units in Pro2, you can only set it corresponding command to individual deck. I got one more idea that could be better solution for knobs and upper buttons layering. This could be like eight more pages on instant press.

maschine1.JPG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast