Restoring Technics - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Xone
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch
    What about re-assembling the tonearm? I hear calibration is a bitch, and putting them back together can cause damage to the bearings if you're not careful...
    I wouldn't advise taking the actual tone arm assembly with the bearings and pivots apart. That can come out with two screws if needed to access everything else or replace or it might not need work. I think he just means the whole tone arm housing with the height adjust, lift lever, etc.
    I want have the parts that are colour coded painted - so the tone arm base (minus height adjuster) and the 2 pivot parts. The actual tone arm would stay silver.

Do-able? Or not worth the hassle. I'd love a painted tone arm, but not at the expense of a working tonearm!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Nice pics. Just what I needed. I must admit I never had any intention of taking the actual arm apart (and probably wont! )

Any tips on re-assembly? Especially the arm lifting mechanism...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

Tech Mentor

Wow very nice work. I'll probably have to take apart at least the tonearm base to clean it up. I'm too nervous to take apart the whole thing though...

Tech Guru

Only tip that really applies is: take your time and be careful.

What exactly about the lift arm? I'm think it probably works and is set up differently than you are thinking.

Nicadraus helped me through a few issues I had and since then I have completely proven down and rebuilt about 30 tone arms.

If you are mechanically inclined and patient, you should be able to figure it. I would say from my experience the anti-skate is the trickiest part.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Quote Originally Posted by djlotus View Post
    Nicadraus helped me through a few issues I had and since then I have completely proven down and rebuilt about 30 tone arms.

If you are mechanically inclined and patient, you should be able to figure it. I would say from my experience the anti-skate is the trickiest part.
    Yeah I mean as long as you are mechanically inclined and this type of stuff comes naturally to you it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just keep track of all parts and be patient- and make sure you get the anti-skate spring right when you put it back together so it engages the tone arm.

I am (was - a long time ago!) an engineer, so I'm not necessarily afraid of taking apart the assembly - but I know from experience that springs can ping off and never be found, bearings can roll out and disappear between the floor boards, etc...

If only I strip 'em down in a big ol' bubble...

Tech Guru

Well you're In Luck Patch. The anti skate is a partially wound spring, so no chance of it flying anywhere, and the bearings are fixed.

That's reassuring. Thanks Lotus.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djlotus View Post
    I definitely like taking things apart. I have ADD and I can focus on this kind of stuff for hours lol.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast