Restoring Technics - Page 8
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Heres a photo of how mine turned out, sorry, just crappy iphone photos. I learned a ton… I made the mistake of using to large of RCA cables, so I wasnt able to attach the stress relief clamp, I just zip-tied them in… so I wouldnt really ever feel comfortable ever selling them unless I redid the RCAs. All the other mistakes I made reassembling where fixable, ha. Now I have the fever… I want to do another set to re-sell…

IMG_0819.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg

Those look AWESOME, mate. I had a bit of a nightmare at the powercoaters - they've ruined 4 sets of tonearm pieces (thread HERE).

How was your painting/powder coating experience? Did you paint or powder coat? Who masked off the tone arm bearings/points, etc..?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

why thank ya. Im pretty happy with the way they turned out, even tho the all white/storm trooper thing has been done a million times. but yeah, i powder coated, it was def questionable if doing the tone arm stuf was worth the trouble… because it is A LOT of trouble. Finding a good powder coater is half the battle. I replied in your post with a lil info about my experience, it sounds like u got some lazy powder coaters!

I know I did. The finish on the deck plates is crap. Looks like they didn't clean off the plates first. Bubbles, lumps, craters and even a couple of scratches!!!

I'll be straight in the phone tomorrow...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I know I did. The finish on the deck plates is crap. Looks like they didn't clean off the plates first. Bubbles, lumps, craters and even a couple of scratches!!!

I'll be straight in the phone tomorrow...
    Can you post some pics? Really curious how it turned out

I had considered powder coating a few times since im lazy and painting is time consuming but i didnt to save cash. Curious what a bad powder coat job looks like. Lots of powder coaters seem to just do stuff like metal furniture and Industrial stuff and not detail work.

I'll put some pics up tonight if I can. The quote said they would:

Strip (shot blast)
    Etch Prime
    Powder coat
    Bake
    Laquer
    (Bake?)

Looking at the finish, I'd say they:

Light sanded
    Powder coat
    Bake

Loads of imperfections...

Pics will probably be 5.0mp from my Xperia phone.

Hi all, just a quick question i found a great deal on a pair of sl1200 mk2 US$250 one of them is working somehow properly (the antiskate is not working and the pop up light is burned) the other one its skipping a lot and when i check the tone arm is stiff as hell!! So my question is was that a business?? what would be the cost of a new tone arm and arm base??? and how difficult is to set it up???

Thx in advance
    MBP 13' 256 SSD 8Gb RAM. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.8 | MF Classic | NI Audio 2 | NI Audio 10 | CDJ1000MK3 (2) | Technics 1200MKII (4) | A&H Xone 92 (UK) | NI Kontrol F1 | Ipad 4 | Korg Kaoss Pad Mini | Ableton Live Suite.

Tech Mentor

ebay is your friend for parts. It's fairly easy just take your time. Maybe take some pics before you pull it to bits. Youtube also has quite a fe videos of SL1200 repairs.

Tech Convert

Is it OK if I hop in here?

I just picked up a pair of 1210s. Bargain price but they look like they have had a hard life and might have been stored in less than ideal conditions for a while. The platters are quite corroded, one is particularly bad and covered almost entirely in that white "bloom" type stuff.

What's the best way to get these back to a smooth finish? I see Autosol mentioned earlier in this thread. Is this the safest way? Time, elbow grease and Autosol? Presumably using one of those plastic wool dish scourers is the way to go?

Thanks in advance!

^ mind to post some pics? so that we or the more experience person in here can guide you

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast