Loops on maschine pads ?

Default Loops on maschine pads ?

Hi everyone !

Is it possible to assign loops to the pads of the NI Maschine ? That is with the original maschine hardware, not traktor or ableton.

It is just question out of curiousity (I don't own one) and I couldn't find an answer so I guess you probably can't and so can only play one shot ?

I didn't quite understand what you mean by asking "is it possible to assign loops on NI Maschine" but I will try to answer what I guess you wanted to know:

1.) With Maschine you can record a drum beat that you created live by hitting the pads. After having recorded the whole sequence once it starts to play it back. The length of this loop can be adjusted individually (in steps of full bars).

2.) Let's say you take a pre-canned loop from your sample library: You can then adjust Maschine's tempo to match the tempo of the loop sample, you can adjust the sequence length Maschine is looping (e.g. 4 bars or 8 bars or ...) and then hit the pad on which you have your loop sample on the first downbeat. Then Maschine will keep playing that loop back (perfectly in time!)
    Maschine interprets this loop sample as a one-shot sample but now you've timed it that when your one shot sample (which is your sample library loop in reality) has played back completely it will start again on the one! So it is a loop in fact.

3.) If you have got a live audio stream from let's say a DJ mixer and you route it into Maschine you will NOT be able to set loops in real time. If this is what you intended to do you should want to use Ableton or Traktor.

What i was asking was more like the second part of your answer.

Maybe to make myself clear, what i'm asking for is some sort of functionality like the remix decks, where the pads trigger loops instead of one shots. You may ask why : then why not just the remix decks ? Well, i really want to do drumming routines, but also dropping a loop from time to time.

For what you would like to do I would rather recommend a Traktor-Maschine combo using Traktor for the loop stuff and Maschine (routed into Traktor as a live input) for drumming routines. This would probably be the easiest way.

I already explained how to play loops with Maschine but this is only a workaround!
    For doing it that way it is totally necessary to be aware of some facts: Maschine interprets your loop sample as a one-shot. That means this loop sample will always be played back in it's original tempo (you can type it in as Maschine's tempo recognization doesn't always work properly) no matter what Maschine's project tempo is! The tempo in which the loop is played back is not synced with the project tempo. This means you're not able to increase the tempo live to create an uprising effect or something like that as you would be able to do with a pitch fader.
    Besides, you will always have to watch out if the bar length of the group in which you're playing back your sample is correct to avoid unintentional gaps between two times in which the loop is played back.
    Including only a few loops (maybe one, two or maybe three) into your Maschine routine probably will be no insolvable problem.
    But the more loops you will like to include into your routine, the more diverse these loops will be in tempo and the more spontaneously you will like to decide which loop to play back (during your live routine?!) the more complex it will be to make sure everything works as it should.

To be honest, playing back loops with Maschine demands a bit of concentration. It's definitely possible to do this but far from being elegant. If possible I would already prepare all the loop sample-related stuff before doing the gig to make sure everything is working as intended.
    When having the ability to do the loop stuff with Traktor (which I have ) I would definitely choose this way!

It will NOT be possible to use Maschine's pads to trigger loops like you would do with the remix decks. As far as I know you won't be able to tell Maschine that the sound on one of your pads is meant to be a loop and not a one-shot as you can do in Traktor.
    There is only the workaround I mentionned.
    Last edited by RockingClub; 05-27-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Thank you very much for your answers ! You've helped me very much.