DJM 900 Owners... Are you in love with it? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Interesting, I think the knobs feel perfectly fine to me... good if anything. Nice rubber.

I had a go the DB4 and funnily enough really didn't like the feel of the faders at all, or the dry/wet fx buttons and the gap from the unit. The eqs and filters felt really good though. Something about it feels a touch more "flimsy" than the 900. Maybe that is personal preference.

I wish I loved the DB4 as it's clearly the "cooler" of the two mixers... but I think I just find too many shortcomings with it when comparing pros and cons with 900 and at the price I don't want to find anything missing from my requirements.

I'm thinking of adding some external fx processors (Vermona Action Filter 3 / Maybe a delay pedal/ maybe a RMX-1000) to my set up and the DB4 has no send / return. I know with it's built in fx it doesn't need it but i just didn't find em intuitive though clearly i could have played on it for longer.
    Yeah feel is definitely a personal thing. Also, the first time I tried a 900 I liked it a lot more than the other two times. But the latter were club installs that got moved around a lot and beaten up by the time I used them so it's possible I would have liked it better had it not already taken a beating. The knobs themselves felt fine; it was the ergonomics of using the knobs that bugged me though I'm not sure whether it was the spacing between them or what. I also remember thinking the stems felt flimsier than I thought they should though not like they were going to break or anything. I also didn't like the effects knob at the bottom of each channel for some reason; I think that one is metal instead of rubber but can't remember that well. The other thing I didn't like was the glossy top - something that also bugged me about the Denon X1700; much prefer the matte of Ecler and A+H mixers. But these are minor personal things mostly.

I agree with you on the DB4 faders but don't find Pios any improvement; if anything the glide feels stiffer to me. I much prefer the faders you find on Ecler and Rane products; that's why I put an innofader in my DB4 (and I would likely do the same if I had the pioneer). I like the knobs on the DB4; wish the eq knobs were bigger but I love the dry/wet knobs. The lack of send/return is just lame; hopefully they will fix that in a firmware update (it would be easy to rig and I think Xonetacular sent them a feature suggestion for it). But yeah it sounds like the 900 meets your requirements a lot more, and Scratch certification is a plus.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

The other relatively important thing for me is post fader fx. It annoys me that traktors aren't... And i thought the db4s werent either but maybe they added that to the db4 in a fw update? I know the db2 has post fader fx.

If the db2 had the filters id maybe go for that. The spacing is really nice, very uncluttered.
    Last edited by MaxOne; 05-31-2012 at 07:04 AM.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123