Hack the F1 - Page 18
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Hack the F1

P4ULSON, why do something like that. In difference to Serato, NI charges for software, then charges you for the F1 and on top of that it is locked-in with proprietary HID.
    Not saying that creating a virtual F1 device is the right thing to do but going after Rane/Serato like that is really ugly.
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by abythell View Post
    koooops - It seems that my 32-bit USBlyzer can't open reports generated on your 64-bit version. Can you do a File -> Export List instead? A description of what is happening (device attached, pressed button X, etc.) would also be quite helpful.
    I just did an export of the previous file: I have to say it was only random action on the pad.
    I'll try to send a new file following the official template common action for the F1 quite soon (such as transport for the rows push mode single shot and loop/loop size/filters/volumePerSample).
    I have to say I'm quite looking for news from your project: I could already see a launchpad (which prices are dropping down so quickly with the push controller being launch soon) controlling directly the sixty four samples within traktor.
    edit: there is now two other files with description in the title of what I did during the usblyser session
    n.b. for some reason during those I didn't had any LED feedback on the f1 unit but I was still able to use it
    n.b.2 Don't know if it's relevant but I've got an ASUS mother board which give extra information in the file. I'm not sure but I thik any line with "aicharger..." is related to that so I guess you could dump those
    If you need more files (with only specific info) let me know how to properly use usblyser: I'll be glad to help
    Last edited by koooops; 02-04-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by abythell View Post
    Here's an update on my progress so far. Things are looking promising.

First, please let me explain my solution, which I am calling The Femulator. It's quite similar to the Midi Fighter idea, in which hardware emulates the F1 HID interface, but this one is cheap and doesn't have any buttons or pads (though you could add them and build a custom F1 if you wanted). Instead, software is used to listen for MIDI messages from the OS (generated by a hardware controller, software, whatever), map and issue an HID report to the hardware, and the hardware will echo-back the report via the F1 interface (I have some concerns about latency but have some alternative solutions should it become an issue).

I know many of you favor an all-software approach, but in my opinion this is not possible without insider info from NI or by developing an HID device emulator. This probably isn't going to happen through after-work, grass roots efforts (at least not from me!). The hardware for the Femulator is easy to obtain and quite cheap, and the firmware is open-source so anyone can get going for $20-$30. It should be possible to run this on an UNO, Leonardo, Teensy, ATMEGA8U2 break-out or ATMEGA32U4 break-out (Sparkfun/Adafruit). You could even re-flash a Midi Fighter Classic or Pro!

To further bolster support for my approach, I am please to announce I actually have a working proof-of-concept. To date, I have Traktor recognizing the Arduino UNO as an F1 on both Windows and Mac. I also have a very simple Java application that, when run, triggers a sample in Remix Deck C. No MIDI or mappings or any useful features yet, but it is very encouraging.

The code is at https://github.com/angryelectron/hack-the-f1 if you're curious to try out the firmware, but don't expect to see any useable software for a week or so. If you get the firmware running on a board other than an Arduino, let us know. Otherwise, stay tuned for updates.

[koooops - will have a look at your Usblyzer dump tomorrow. Thanks.]
    This is just amaizing man!!! Good work!

Tech Convert

I've been researching and I think android can emulate HID devices so I will try to connect my Nexus 7 with traktor emulating an HID device... if it was possible, I just need to know what messages Android should send to traktor in order to control remix decks

Tech Mentor

Android definitely can, a while ago the ps3 got hacked, it involved using a fake usb device. People came up with all kinds of devices that could be used to do it. Im sure the idea is the same, there were ports for ipod touch, psp, a calculator and a loads of android phones.
    TSP 2, S2, Audio 8, Maschine, 1210's, Launchpad, iPad, Nocturn 25, LPD8

www.audioj.webs.com S2 users check it out

www.JigAudio.webs.com Maschine goodness & other stuff

Hey abythell, have you had any time to look at this some more? Some things I found in the firmware:

• F1InputData.analog1 is filter, .analog2 is volume. Both values are 12 bits, which corresponds to the protocol analysis.
    • F1OutputData.pad_x is ordered red, blue, green instead of blue, red, green as indicated in the protocol analysis.
    • There's nothing in the protocol analysis about how to switch between remix decks, but I can't find any settings for it in Traktor either, so I do think it's controlled on the hardware side.

The missing piece is being able to switch decks, I can already control everything else using your firmware on a Teensy++ 2.0. Once I get button debounce figured out I may be able to post a video.

/me hates button debouncing.
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by rolimat View Post
    I've been researching and I think android can emulate HID devices so I will try to connect my Nexus 7 with traktor emulating an HID device... if it was possible, I just need to know what messages Android should send to traktor in order to control remix decks
    Well... bad news!! I've been working around and Android has changed bluetooth stack in 4.2 version so now is not possible to develop apps using a custom bluetooth stack so you can't use Android devices to emulate HID using a custom ID It's possible to develop an app to emulate F1 for devices below 4.2 version of android but it's a waste of time.

Im thinking on build my own F1 using an arduino and the firmware that abythell posted before

My Seimitsu buttons just came in, so I'm ready to get started on mine too.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718