Anyone else irritated by this? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yeah that Garnier track is a good example, BUT what a weird unsettling drone. I think most people would agree that House is real happy. And to me I think the layered percussion sets all house apart from other genres

I would never classify the original version of Man With The Red Face as house. Clearly techno. The difference is in the drum groove (rule of thumb: more emphasis on the snare in house music as opposed to techno).
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

The only true house music records are the ones that say "house music" all the way through the record. If you're lucky you can find a few that talk about Jack being in the beginning and all that. Everything else is just breakdancing music.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

eh... to the average person on the street that only has a passing interest in electronic dance music, mostly due to video game soundtracks, but don't hate it as a whole, it is all techno. i can't blame them for not knowing there is a difference between electro and dubstep or dnb. It isn't what they really enjoy, but is always nice when they will let me play what ever for a bit at work.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    The only true house music records are the ones that say "house music" all the way through the record. If you're lucky you can find a few that talk about Jack being in the beginning and all that. Everything else is just breakdancing music.
    I approve of this. I approve very much. There need to be more tracks about Jack
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Tech Mentor

Yeah, that has annoyed me over the years. But like someone mentioned, people just don't know. I'm surprised though, that everyone hasn't switched from calling all dance music "techno" and calling it "dubstep"

Quote Originally Posted by djdunamis View Post
    Yeah, that has annoyed me over the years. But like someone mentioned, people just don't know. I'm surprised though, that everyone hasn't switched from calling all dance music "techno" and calling it "dubstep"
    Oh man I've heard people say that too. I don't get openly mad about, especially towards the people who genuinely don't know. I just politely try to explain a little bit about what they're listening to, and from there they can form their own opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Where is this police force that shakes down DJs and seizes laptops and searches for pirated music then sends them to prison? Because I'm not sure what planet you are living on.

Tech Mentor

Oh this really grinds my gears trust me at the local nightclub here there is a "Techno Room" and all they play is ministry of sound pop tunes (nothing wrong with that but seriously that isn't techno ffs. What really surprised me was a friend of mine who really has no idea about music said "I don't think they've ever played a techno song in there" if he can notice it then the club has to step up and change it in my view.

Hardly irritates me when people mislabel genres, but it sure does immediately erase 98% of that person's musical credibility in my eyes.

I've heard it all. People who call every form of dance music dubstep. People who use "dub" to refer to "dubstep" without realizing dub is a completely different genre. And yes, I've heard "techno" used as a blanket term for all electronic music.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12