Anyone else irritated by this?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else irritated by this?

So does anyone else become livid when someone says that every bit of electronic dance music is "techno"? or am I just a pretentious arse? I noticed this as soon as more people got into dubstep and hard electro. I seem to recall a particular conversation with someone who was a self proclaimed electronic music guru in which he stated, and I quote: "Dubstep is just electro at 70 BPM. They're both just a form of techno." Like I said, maybe I'm just being egotistic here but I just figured someone else may share my feeling on this subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Where is this police force that shakes down DJs and seizes laptops and searches for pirated music then sends them to prison? Because I'm not sure what planet you are living on.

I get more annoyed with what people are calling house music to be honest. People have always misused the word techno but it's getting kind of ridiculous the stuff people call house music these days.

@xone:

I agree 100%. I flipped mtv on for a little while over the weekend and saw a music video ad thing at the end of the show. Under it said something along the lines of top house 2012/vote for favorite house track 2012. This was the "house".

alone

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

It's not like they are trying to defy some rule about what is and what isn't a certain genre, they just don't know.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

When I was a kid I always considered the likes of Fatboy Slim to be House. It really is bandied around a lot now. What do you guys consider it to be? When I hear someone mention techno the mental image that I conjure up is balls out 90's Euro stuff

Tech Student

Default you are right

I'm surprized, thanks!

When I hear techno, I think Detroit. Generally dark, repetitive, industrial. A bit rough, but not always. Stable, droning, hypnotizing. It's a tough genre to describe, but an easy genre to point out. When you say 90's euro stuff, I think of a techno/house mesh. It's got more of a pop edge. I'd call it more of a club pop than techno.

This is just what I think, though.
    alone

house =

it's elements are
    • happy/uplifting mellody
    • clean samples
    • cleaner drums
    • no distortion
    • mastered by an expert
    Last edited by synthet1c; 05-31-2012 at 09:40 AM.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernia View Post
    When you say 90's euro stuff, I think of a techno/house mesh. It's got more of a pop edge. I'd call it more of a club pop than techno.

This is just what I think, though.
    I think you guys are probably referring to Eurodance which is what a lot of people used to call "techno"

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    I think you guys are probably referring to Eurodance which is what a lot of people used to call "techno"
    There you go. I was looking for a proper label.
    alone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast