Soundcard : Echo Audiofire 2 - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Try it through the analog jacks and use a Y-cable for your headphone to plug in (Master on 1/2 - Cue on 3/4). Another Option can be the SPDIF out.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    I want to use the card both in the studio and for DJing, so this might be a problem for me. there is an option to route channels 1/2 to analog out 3/4 though, so maybe I could get the master out to go through 3/4 and cue through 1/2. thoughts?
    Just go into traktor preferences and use 3/4 as the master output, and 1/2 for cueing.

As simple as that... the only problem is having your monitors plugged into 1/2 for production and then plug them to 3/4 for djing... but in any production software you should be able to use any output as the master output. So instead use 3/4 as your master output, and also in the OS configuration.

Plus, most soundcards come with a software to route the signals. Maybe you can simply assign the headphones to 3/4 instead of 1/2.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by pier View Post
    Just go into traktor preferences and use 3/4 as the master output, and 1/2 for cueing.

As simple as that... the only problem is having your monitors plugged into 1/2 for production and then plug them to 3/4 for djing... but in any production software you should be able to use any output as the master output. So instead use 3/4 as your master output, and also in the OS configuration.

Plus, most soundcards come with a software to route the signals. Maybe you can simply assign the headphones to 3/4 instead of 1/2.
    thanks for the advice. I'm using Ableton Live 8.1 actually and just tried setting channels 3/4 to analog out 1/2 and vice versa on the Audiofire console, then setting up 3/4 as master and 1/2 as cue out in Ableton.

worked nicely! thanks.

Tech Mentor

I just received my echo audiofire 2 today.

You can check the features at echo's website... but what the specs don't say is that this little unit sounds fantastic. I don't have my RME FF400 to do a serious AB test, but it sound as good.

I'm not saying this lightly. I have owned many sound cards in my production life. From the cheap Creative AWE 64 Gold (does someone remeber this?), Terratec, Presonus, to more expensives MOTU, or even RME... and worked with as many other first class brands (Pro Tools HD, Apogee, etc).

I only wanted some portable kick ass DA converters to listen to what's going out from Logic, and some occasional djing, and it's exactly what I got. No preamps, not tons of IOs, not a huge rack. Simply some really goog ADDA conversion in a small box. Of course the clock is not as good as the other more expensive units... but honestly for my home project studio and for the price paid it doesn't get any better than this.

If you compare this little unit with other interfaces you may think you're getting less features, but that money goes into crystalline detailed professional sound, not into more cheap IOs and cheap useless preamps.

I considered buying the more expensive Apogee Duet instead, but having an independent headphone output on the AF2 was a great plus.

Of course I still need to work more to see how stable this unit is, but as far as sound is concerned I couldn't be happier.

Very recommended.

Tech Guru

from everything I've heard on the apogee duet, its gods gift to mac users. People over on Gearslutz have been staining their pants since it hit the market.

Tech Mentor

Yeah, there are lots of good comments on the audiofire series too.

I've been a GS user since 2006, it's one of the best forums for good opinions on audio gear, studio design, and audio business. There are lots of experienced pros, and even audio legends such as Bruce Swedien.

BTW here's a post comparing 3 converters. An ART, an audiofire 8, and a 3000 dollars apogee rosetta:

http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthr...ight=audiofire

Most people said both apogee an audiofire were very close.

Although it's true that the AF2 and AF4 have different converters than the AF8 and AF12.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345