View Poll Results: KRK RP8's or Yamaha HS80m's

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • KRK RP8

4 50.00%
  • Yamaha HS80m

4 50.00%

Default KRK RP8's or Yamaha HS80m's

OK, so im finally dropping on some semi-serious monitors. Produce all sorts, dubsteppy stuff, hip-hop, chillout, jazz, rock, acoustic. So am leaning towards the yamaha hs80m's for that reasons, but the krk rp8's are used by alot of people and look cool.

Anyone got anythoughts?

Cheers,

RJ

X

A no brainer for me.

I think the RP8 is too tainted on bass levels.
    For spinning and just listening to music they're nice, if you ask me.

But if you want to use them for production as well, I would opt for the Yamaha HS80m.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

I have the krk rp8's - sounds very nice. Alot of people lean more towards the yamaha I find.

Either way, both speakers are great, but it won't do you any good unless the room you're producing in is sound treated properly. Especially since you mention you are wanting to do some 'dubsteppy' stuff, ya gotta watch out for bass traps in the room you are producing in and stuff like that.

Have a look at this article: http://remixmag.com/mag/remix_diy_acoustics/

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    A no brainer for me.

I think the RP8 is too tainted on bass levels.
    For spinning and just listening to music they're nice, if you ask me.

But if you want to use them for production as well, I would opt for the Yamaha HS80m.
    Tainted on bass levels? What do you mean by that?
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

That the KRKs aren't neutral on the bass frequencies.

They tend to have an oversaturated bass.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Tech Wizard

I own the rp8's. The consensus is true, in that they tend to over emphasize the low mids (300-700 Hz) They can be described as having a slightly "tubby" sound at high levels. I've learned to accommodate and adjust for that that in my mixes though. The high drivers are excellent for a sub $500 monitor. They also have HF adjustment knobs on the back if your room is too reflective, but I think they would have struck gold by also adding a LF adjust to compensate for the resonance in the cabinet. The ideal setup for the RP series is actually the RP6 and the K10s sub. That eliminates much of the low end resonance in the mains.

The entire Yamaha HS series could be rightfully described as "more accurate" than the RPs, however they can be really fatiguing to listen to for long periods of time...not unlike the NS10s they borrowed some design from. If you A/B them with the KRK stuff you will immediately notice the greater mid presence. From a purely academic standpoint, they are the more correct monitor to use....but I find that they work better as a main monitor for mixing acoustic or rock music. For most electronic styles, they sound too harsh to maintain your enthusiam while working.
    Last edited by Seven Deep; 03-31-2009 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks in backing me up bro'!

Default The best Monitor Speakers for Recording Studios

+1 for Yamaha HS80m

I own mixed on the V88 for over 6 years, then I got given a pair of HS80m and I feel mixes translate better on the Yamaha HS80m

For me, the Yamaha HS80m feels like a Hi-Fi system on steroids cos they handle transients extremely well.

Regards
    Josef Horhay
    Mixing Engineer
    http://www.acoosticzoo.com