VCI-380 vs VCI-400 EGE
    Tech Mentor

Default VCI-380 vs VCI-400 EGE

So folks, I'm finally going to pop my suggestions post cherry here. I'm in the process of offloading my Novation Twitch in order to upgrade to one of the following:

VCI-380
    VCI-400 EGE w/ Kontrol F1

Now, mind you these DJ controllers are not my only DJ set ups but they will essentially act as my travel gear (I have a classic Technics + Rane and Dicers set up already, but that set up very obviously does not leave my home for obvious reasons). With that out of the way, which would be the better option here? Should I stick with Itch and keep the very useful Slicer mode and gain the new Pad FX feature with the VCI-380 (but sadly I will no longer have the Fader FX feature from the Twitch) but then be very limited in regards to launching samples (darn you Serato and making us STILL waiting for Bridge to come to Itch!) or should I forego the Slicer (somewhat forego the Slicer mode, the VCI-400 EGE has a Slicer-like mode but it's not quite as good as the implementation in Itch) mode but gain all the daisy-chaining FX capability and a good Fader FX alternative with the jogwheel FX in Traktor 2.5.

I mean, quite honestly, when playing out, going all out controllerist crazy isn't really going to happen all that often nor do I actually need 4 decks but I can see the Remix Decks coming into good use and being far more useful than the SP-6 sampler in Itch (plus it appears that I have the ability to use filters on the samples for the Remix Deck in TP2.5 with the F1, SP-6 is unfortunately lacking that and one needs to settle with the limiting Master FX unit of Itch). What do you all think? I mean, both controllers costs pretty much the same thing and all. Another drawback I am also factoring in with VCI-400 is the apparently poor jogwheel support in TP which is only really solved if I went with the S2 or S4 but the S2/S4 I am really not feeling at the moment.

well. are you going to be using traktor or serato? 380 is geared towards that, unless you want to wait for mappings or make you own.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by guiltyblade View Post
    well. are you going to be using traktor or serato? 380 is geared towards that, unless you want to wait for mappings or make you own.
    Like I've mentioned. I also have a standard scratch set up at home with the Technics and Rane, so I do use SSL regularly, and of course I've been using Itch for months with Twitch now. I also use a bit of Traktor but not heavily as I am more comfortable with the straight forward Serato approach. However, I do like what I have been able to do in Traktor and do want to exploit it more but it really comes down to if in the long run, I would end up foregoing Serato for Traktor or not.

I guess a simpler way to put it is, how much functionality do I lose if I went with the VCI-380 as opposed to using the 400 EGE with midi mapping (there's a significantly smaller amount of physical controls on the 380 of course). With the 380 I would be able to fully exploit Itch which is great and I do like Itch, but it seems that if I wanted to exploit TP, the 400 would be a better fit, but since I never played with either controllers, maybe the amount of physical controls I lose with going with the 380 really isn't all that much. Decisions decisions and they both cost the same, oy vey.

i would choose the VCI-380. I like Itch more and like the fact that my library between SSL & Itch work together. No point in droping cues and analysing files two times.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Student

bro, i stand here having the same dilemma. caught between the two myself right now loving the effects of the dicer, loop-roll and beat-jumper on the 380. but the all around MIDI mapping and not so bad effects on the 400 great besides the LED display. wondering which way you went now that 7 months have passed. BTW i am a scratch dj myself.

Tech Mentor

Since you apparently use SSL for your scratch setup, going with the 380 seems like the logical move. Managing two libraries instead of the common Scratch/Itch one is a real pain in the ass. Unless you're planning to switch to Traktor Scratch, of course.

Banned

I'm in a similar boat and I see there's been no updates to this dilemma for over a month. In my case I am however upgrading from a VCI 300 using Itch. I don't if to go with the 380 or 400 and make the move to Traktor. It seems like you can do allot with Traktor but is it really "more" than you can do with Itch and the 380?

How good are the effects in Itch compared to Traktor?
    How good is the SP-6 Sample Decks compared to the same feature in Traktor?

Thanks!