Cajon midi controller
    Tech Wizard

Default Cajon midi controller

Hi,

I've got a cajon which I want to turn into a midi controller. The idea was to put some touch pads on the front and maybe some knobs or faders on the side. Don't know how viable this would be as the cajon is made of wood, and considering this would be my first project of this kind I wanted to now if there are any kits you can buy or any sites where anyone has attempted to create such a thing.

Harry

Tech Mentor

Use Piezos as drum triggers. They are easy to make... and cheap. Problem is you'll need a midi device to plug into.

There is a free program out there that does this for your mic. It works buy sending midi notes when the mic hears a certain frequency range.

I've actually created a similar drum trigger with VST software to attach to any surface. It's a tiny USB device that will not interfere with the way the drums sound. I'm simply waiting for the patent and some components to be manufactured. Then I'll try selling it to whatever musical instrument company is interested... like Korg. I hope to get this out there this year or next.... hoping the price will be between 100-150 bucks.

Right now I'm using the prototype with Ableton in my live shows. I use it with Tablas, Darbukas, Cajons, Dejembes, and various frame drums.

Tech Wizard

That sounds awesome. Any ideas what the program is called?
    I'm pretty interested in this device. Pm me when it comes through

Thanks for your help

Tech Mentor

I can't find the free software anywhere. But then again that was 6 years ago. I tried googling mic to midi, voice to midi... almost everything and did come accross this...
    It is somthing similar to what I've been working on though. It's the Pulse Surface Controller, though it makes your drum sound terrible acoustically. Pretty cheap too, only $59 bucks!