Any Good Batch Normalization Software That Is Non Destructive - Mp3 & M4a

Default Any Good Batch Normalization Software That Is Non Destructive - Mp3 & M4a

Hello fellow DJs & Producers! It's my first post here.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good batch normalization software that is non-destructive to files and compatible with mp3 & m4a formats. By good i mean stable, reliable, quick, easy to use and effective.

I'd prefer it to be on OSX but I do have boot camp if absolutely necessary.

Here's What I've Come Across In My Searches:

1) Platinum notes but that is destructive to lossy files & expensive

2) There seems to be a port of mp3gain - seems unreliable and doesn't do m4a

3) iVolume - Read reviews that it doesn't work - relatively expensive

4) Smartgain - Read reviews that I doesn't work

5) Mp3 Gain - Mp3 only - Mac port seems basic.

Do many of you bother normalizing your files especially Ableton live DJs as Traktor has auto-gain? I've heard arguments against batch normalization such as:

"Normalization takes only peak level into account. Our ears on the other hand, hear more in terms of average level. Making two files peak at the same level (say at zero) in no way says those files will sound equal in level when you listen to them. "Normalization" in my view, is an inappropriate term, ab-normalization being closer to the truth."

Is it a good idea? I see constant levels as quite critical to ensuring there's isn't an anti-climatic drop in the mix but obviously this can be done manually too.
    Last edited by Made In Machines; 06-05-2012 at 05:12 PM.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

All programs used on lossy files will be destructive since the files need to be reencoded.

That being said, I use Audition for the job (normalizing RMS). It covers all the things you ask for but since it does quite a lot more it reflects on it's price.

They aren't all destructive as some modify the replay gain tag of the mp3. Does audition do batch jobs?

mp3gain
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Fisson doesn't reencode mp3. Dunno if it does batch normalise but it's great for splitting long mp3 recordings (4 hours) into smaller 1 hour sets without loosing quality.

Fission is an amazing prog. I've only just got it and need to dig more. Natively editing mp3 is rare

Here's linky http://rogueamoeba.com/fission/
    Last edited by MaxOne; 06-06-2012 at 06:28 AM.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Made In Machines View Post
    Does audition do batch jobs?
    Yup

Tech Mentor

to be fair... i would just stick to manually using a fader/knob for your gains. Less processing for your tunes the better if in traktor i would also recommend turning the auto gain off.
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Quote Originally Posted by jamthrax View Post
    to be fair... i would just stick to manually using a fader/knob for your gains. Less processing for your tunes the better if in traktor i would also recommend turning the auto gain off.
    I love auto gain! When used with an external mixer it's such a touch
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Made In Machines View Post
    Do many of you bother normalizing your files especially Ableton live DJs as Traktor has auto-gain?
    Having spun with SSL, Traktor, Ableton, and a lot of non-computer stuff……no, never normalized a file. Never will.

Traktor and SSL's auto gain works okay…mostly I have it set to play things quiet enough that they won't clip the sound card…then use the gain/trim controls on the mixer.

On Live, I used TT Dynamic Range Meter to make sure I had some headroom left and keep the RMS levels about the same (I think I aimed for -20dB RMS with no peaks over 0dB).

Also, keep in mind that you don't need to make digital signals loud. If the normalization applies positive gain to things, it's doing it wrong. A normal 16-bit audio signal can represent more dynamic range than a human can hear. Just don't clip and keep things similar and you're good.