Blackie Lox's Setup
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Blackie Lox's Setup

Was interested in DJing from a young age (around 11 years old) but obviously didn't have money to buy turntables/records, so I ended up using the original PCDJ software.

Was fed up of using the keyboard and mouse to crossfade, so I ended up spending $99 on a Radio Shack Mixer when I was about 15 (1999).

Bought my first set of used Technics 1200's in 2002. Also grabbed a pair of Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones.

Later I upgraded my mixer to an American Audio Q3433-SX. Then bought my first set of CD decks to match it (American Audio Velocity). Added a Boss SP-303 Dr. Sample for triggering one-shots.

After that I sold my Velocity and upgraded to a pair of Denon DN-S5000's when they were released. LOVED those decks.

Picked up a Serato SL-1 in 2005 so i could start using vinyl with MP3's (as I hated burning and labeling CD's).

My American Audio Mixer was starting to crap out on me so I picked up a Behringer DJX 700 (just for home use, as it had HORRIBLE sound quality when hooked up to big systems).

I then traded in my pair of Denon DN-S5000's for a Denon DN-HS5500, to use as a third MP3 deck.
    When the SP-6 sample player was added to Serato Scratch Live, I decided to sell my Boss sampler. I used the money to put toward a Denon DN-HC4500, as I've always wanted a midi controller for Scratch Live.

CIMG0005.jpg
    CIMG0006.jpgCIMG0007.jpgCIMG0008.jpgCIMG0009.jpgCIMG0010.jpg

I then gained an interest in video mixing, so I purchased the VSL upgrade and replaced my Behringer mixer with a Denon DN-X500 so that I can use the X-control fader function to crossfade videos. Also picked up some KRK Rockit 5's and 10s Subwoofer since the home theatre system I was using wasn't cutting it.

IMG00024.jpg

When the Denon DN-S3700's were released, I tested them out at a local equipment store and instantly fell in love again. Wanted to trade in my DN-HS5500, but nobody would take it as it was a quickly discontinued product Nonetheless, I saved money and bought a pair . My Tech 12's were safely tucked away in their cases, as I had no space for them (but would NEVER sell them).

I also wanted to get into production, so I bought Ableton Live 8 and an M-Audio Axiom 25 MIDI keyboard. One of my friend's was selling some acoustic foam for cheap so I grabbed that as well.

CIMG1162.jpgCIMG1163.jpgCIMG1184.jpg
    Last edited by BlackieLox; 06-03-2012 at 08:47 PM.

In Jan 2012 I moved in with my girlfriend (who also DJ's ) and she owns a Denon DN-MC6000, Rane Serato SL-1 and Denon DN-HP1000 headphones (and I'm glad, because my Sony Headphones literally fell apart). No need for 2 SL-1's in the household, so I sold mine and bought a Traktor Audio 10, as I've always praised Traktor for it's customization abilities and it's more feature-rich than Scratch Live. Picked up an iPad2 for multipurpose use (iMaschine, TouchAble, TouchOSC). I also bought her an M-Audio Keystation-88 for her birthday as she's a classical pianist.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6819358...26764763/show/

Put up the rest of my foam and bought a keyboard stand. Here are the most recent photos (taken this morning):

IMG_0305.jpgIMG_0308.jpgIMG_0309.jpg

Looks awesome!
    What's your next step? Trading in the IMaschine App for a real Maschine?^^

Tech Student

nice!!! feeling the DN-S3700/MC6000 setup noticed the trini flag too...keep reppin hard!!

Tech Mentor

You love denon hey haha nice setup man

Quote Originally Posted by antics View Post
    nice!!! feeling the DN-S3700/MC6000 setup noticed the trini flag too...keep reppin hard!!
    Dun know! Have to represent for the entire Caribbean! I recently produced my first soca riddim and it's getting heavy rotation on Barbados radio right now. Take a listen here:

As for upgrading to an actual Maschine, I won't bother anytime soon as I only use iMaschine for one shot samples, not production. And I do love Denon products, because they offer much more features than pioneer for half the price, and I like using real spinning platters as opposed to an emulation.

Tech Student

nice vybz man!! hope it gets airplay in Trinidad for the 2k13 season!

Default Video clips of my setup in action

Here's some clips of me and the gf mixing on 2 sets. I'm using Traktor Scratch Pro while she's on Serato Scratch Live. Fun times

Last edited by BlackieLox; 07-04-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Default Found more old pics of my previous setups

This was when I had the lovely Denon DN-S5000's. Was running Serato 1.4 on a Mac Mini G4.
    DSC02566.jpg

This was when I got my Denon DN-x500 mixer to hook up with my HC-4500 controller. My custom case was on order at this time.
    CIMG0114.jpg

Dat roomtreatment. I am jelly. Very jelly.

And a gf that spins ? sign me up !!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast