Customers Don't Want More Features - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    How do I set up my iPad, how do I activate my phone, how do I transfer my photos from my camera ...
    the iPad sets itself up.
    the iPhone can't be purchased from an Apple store without being activated.
    And, uhh…you plug it in and it asks you if you want to.

Like…seriously…if these are the things people are asking, the proper response is to tell them they're too dumb to use computers and that they're safer without them because it isolates them from viruses.

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    how do I learn to RTFM!
    Apple stuff doesn't come with manuals, for the most part. Just cartoons explaining how to do simple things.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Like…seriously…if these are the things people are asking, the proper response is to tell them they're too dumb to use computers and that they're safer without them because it isolates them from viruses.
    Just like 80% of car owners, 80% parents, etc. And consumerism goes on, LOL.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

the iPad sets itself up.
    the iPhone can't be purchased from an Apple store without being activated.
    And, uhh…you plug it in and it asks you if you want to.

I know that, but people do ask .. especially when they are coming from windows platform and are used to doing things a certain way.

how do I learn to RTFM!
    Or Google

Sums up how I feel about a number of people on here!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Why would anyone go to a genius bar for something that isn't a hardware issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    How do I set up my iPad, how do I activate my phone, how do I transfer my photos from my camera ...
    To us this stuff is simple, but non-tech folks lock up when they're confronted with something they don't know how to do. I can't tell you how many times people come to me at work with their iPhones saying they can't figure something out. The problem is usually that they didn't try to figure it out. They just didn't know something so they stared at the phone for 5 minutes. When that doesn't work they come to me.

how do I learn to RTFM!
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonBay View Post
    Or Google
    Don't get me started with this.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

how do I learn to RTFM!
    i think people on this site forget that apple are not the market leader on desktop solutions. OSX is not this perfect solution, in fact it is on par with windows its just better at different stuff. Apple isn't such a massive success because of there products, there a success cuz of there marketing. Is itunes the best media player out there no, is the ipod the best mp3 player out there no, is it the most desirable yes.

we forget most people are idiots.

back to the article, managers love new features, however stability and security are both equally important. Balance of all 3 makes a sucsessful product

All you have to do is look at these very forums to see that DJ Software consumers do indeed want more features. As someone said, people's issues with 2.5 have to do with the execution (specifically the hardware exclusivity) not the concept.

Mostapha's rant aside, the general point the article is trying to make has some validity (something you should always keep in mind while reading business articles - businesspeople aren't always fantastic writers). While features are easier to sell, the thing that keeps people using a product is functionality. "Is it usable?" is a question that seems to slip past NI's QA team with patches on a regular basis. CD timecode has been questionable with Traktor for some time now, and given the issues people have been reporting with vinyl timecode in 2.5, I'm hazarding a guess that these issues have not been fixed. If timecode, BPM detection, and sample decks already worked properly, 2.5 would have had nothing to offer the average Traktor user; only if you buy an F1 do you get new functionality and if you're using the DVS portion of Traktor you're sacrificing timecode stability for this new functionality by patching to 2.5.

My take-away from the article was, "stop focusing on throwing every feature you can into what you're working on and start making sure that the features you do include work, that they work well and consistently, and that the workflow you provide is intuitive, easy, and enjoyable." In that regard, it's spot-on for being shoved into the faces of NI's dev team. This is professional software - stop releasing beta patches as "releases."

Interesting article and I agree to some extent, but I see things a little differently in the DJ software sector.

(1) I think that the remix decks for NI are far more than just another feature. It is a strategic decision to move from deck DJing to Ableton-esque performance. Among DJ software (and i don't see Ableton as dedicated DJ software) this is a strong unique selling point, as no other DJ software offers similar possiblities.

(2) The user base of DJ software is fundamentally different to those examples in the article. The users of DJ software tend to be a lot more attracted to technology instead of being "forced" into it. Virtually everyone is now using computers and cellphones, making it a valid business model to improve usability on the cost of advanced features. For DJ software, it is (somewhat) optional to take the digital route, while there is still the more straightforward way of DJing with Vinyl or CDJs.

(3) Is DJ software really a consumer product? The fact that it is widely used in a (semi-)professional context and the price tag for lots of software would suggest otherwise. A more appropriate comparison would be, if Adobe would try to greatly reduce the features of Photoshop to achieve better usability. I assume that strategy would not be too successful.

(4) Last but not least, the amount of features and the complexity of software can be seen as a form of product differentiation within companies and between companies. If features weren't wanted, we would see a lot more people sticking to Traktor LE or Intro versions of other software. Yet at least in my experience people tend to upgrade to the most powerful version sooner or later.
    Last edited by Miec; 06-05-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast