My new DJ set-up

Default Help me design my new DJ-set up

Hi,

this is my first post on this amazing forum!

I'm currently using my M-Audio Xponent with Torq. The Xponent has recently found a new reletionship with beer and other liquids. It's therefore not working well. The pitch sliders in the software is not following the movements on the hardware. If I put them in +/- 0% they start to live there own lives and goes all the way up. Very annoying.

However, I really need a new set-up for practice and for some gigs. After hanging out on DJ TechTools, I've realized that Traktor is the way to go for me. Especially with the new Remix Decks that seems very cool. I also want to learn some scratching and a DVS is really attractive to me.

I started sketching on a new set-up. Check the first attachment!
    overview.jpg

As you can see, I would like to build a custom controller, due to the narrow mixer (Ecler Nuo 2.0), to get my hands of the computer.

My idea is to build something like this:
    ownmidicontroller.jpg

[EDIT]: Oh, I forgot that there is supposed to be one rotary encoder on top of both FXs to change the effect in Traktor.

What do you guys think in general? Does this seem to be a good set-up to work with and to improve my DJ-skills?

I looked around for a i/o usb board to base my controller on. The Hale UMC32 seems easy to work with. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts about which board I should use? I really like the idea of not having to use a "midiconverter"software. I guess the UMC32 sends a midisignal directly to Traktor, is that right? And I assume the UMC32 can handle all the rotary encoders, potentiometers and buttons

It's very nice to be new here. I hope you don't mind potential misspellings and so on

Thanks!

//Niklas
    Last edited by Niklasgranander; 06-05-2012 at 07:02 AM.

Looks very cool but is there any reason why you're going for this over something like an X1?

Not that I disapprove, DIY is awesome, I'm just curious
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

yeah that ^

Honestly, it would be cheaper to buy an x1 and put it on the right side, plus you'd have a lot more control.

Tech Mentor

I was thinking that same thing, an Kontrol X1 on the right would do the same thing and then some.

If you like some hardware buttons, you can buy a midi fighter.

i would suggest too an x1, is perfect for FX, and you have some more buttons (you could also map the pads as a midi fighter if you like it)
    And you can map a modifier for controlling eqs of the remix decks, so you can have your 2 ch mixer, but if you need to use eqs in deck c/d, you can.
    Traktor S2 . Traktor X1 . Traktor F1 (in UPS hands atm) . MBP . TP2 . Reloop Rhp-10 .

Soundcloud.
    Gone Vci 100 se arcade edition . Audio 2DJ . Launchpad . RMX . lpd8 .

Hi!

The X1 is a very good advise! I thought it would be cool to build something but the X1 fills all my needs and will probably also be cheaper. Now I just need to find two turntables on the market and buy all the other stuff. I'm thinking about having the whole set-up portable (Everything in one case). Does anyone of you know if there are any cases where I can have the technics in the direction as shown in my picture? I haven't found anything like that.

Then maybe I could build two good "stands" for the X1 and F1 that are mountable on the side of the case or something. Any ideas or does this solution already exist? I'm thinking just two metal plates that you can just stick into some kind of bracket at the case.

By the way. I forgot to mention the dicers. Have anyone of you used them with Traktor?

Thanks for you replies!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Niklasgranander View Post
    Hi!
    Now I just need to find two turntables on the market and buy all the other stuff. I'm thinking about having the whole set-up portable (Everything in one case). Does anyone of you know if there are any cases where I can have the technics in the direction as shown in my picture?
    You need a DJ Coffin with TT's in battle position. Coffins only come in 10 or 12" mixer spots, so just get the 10 and use foam in the extra space around your mixer.

Here's an example
    http://www.odysseygear.com/odyssey-p...fzbm10wbl.html

Quote Originally Posted by Niklasgranander View Post
    Hi!
    By the way. I forgot to mention the dicers. Have anyone of you used them with Traktor?
    nope, always associated them with Serato. But I imagine you can map them to Traktor unless they're hard wired for Serato.