The Dumbing Down of Electronic Dance Music (I know, I know, but give it a read)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Dumbing Down of Electronic Dance Music (I know, I know, but give it a read)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...134707610.html

Wall Street Journal actually writing an article on this? Who would have thought. Good read actually except for one part that truly made me upset.

Said Mr. Cox: "I'm 50 years old now. I grew up with vinyl, a needle on a record. Turntablism. I'd play a blend of disco with funk, soul and house with a 909 drum machine," he added, referring to a primitive device.
    Really? Primitive was the best word you could come up with? Why not "influential", "Iconic" or "Historic"? Do they not realize it's still a highly coveted and still used piece of dance music production?

I'll say it again, people who have no knowledge of dance music, or anything else, should be getting paid to write articles about it.

There's some i agree with, but on the flipside there is some truly spectacular EDM that's come around because of it.

Im imaging they got this jim fella to write about it because he once went to a Disco that went on later than 10PM....

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I read that earlier today. I like this bit the best I think

...Avicii, a 22-year-old from Stockholm and an emerging EDM superstar, said: "I didn't come up from DJing, where you're doing 300 shows a year. I feel pretty free, but I want to cater to everyone. I can't play house for two hours."
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I can't play house for two hours
    Totally one episode is enough imo

Quote Originally Posted by Itchy Gash View Post
    rofl

Quote Originally Posted by Itchy Gash View Post
    ya but he can totally play vocals for 2 hours

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBay View Post
    Really? Primitive was the best word you could come up with? Why not "influential", "Iconic" or "Historic"? Do they not realize it's still a highly coveted and still used piece of dance music production?

I'll say it again, people who have no knowledge of dance music, or anything else, should be getting paid to write articles about it.

The analog machine can tend to drift on longer sequences, and doesn't present the tighter quantized strings that modern samplers and synths provide, so people are actually better off ditching the 909, grabbing it's samples and running them through more modern studio equipment. [/devils_advocate]

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    The analog machine can tend to drift on longer sequences, and doesn't present the tighter quantized strings that modern samplers and synths provide, so people are actually better off ditching the 909, grabbing it's samples and running them through more modern studio equipment. [/devils_advocate]
    But that was also part of the charm and what made each 909 unique to itself. People TRY to get their grooves to just a bit off grid like a 909 and react like all those other classic drums machines.

It's one thing to just sample an 808 kick and have go 4 to the 4, but to actually have the 808 itself running a simple 4 on the 4 pattern, they will sound different. There's certain things going on and happening to the actual sound in the circuits that you really can't emulate.

I thought the exact same thing, but a mate of mine that I used to work with has an 808, 909, 505 and many more pieces of kit and we got into this debate, and after he showed me all the nuances that you're missing out on when just sampling it, I now understand why people go to such great lengths to get the originals.

Now, is it practical? Not at all I'd say. If you've been here long enough you know how I feel about going with software vs hardware. But at the same time I have enough knowledge and respect to realize what these machines have done and still can do.

Calling it "primitive" is like calling a 69 Chevelle "primitive". Sure, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles on a new 2012 Camaro, but it still has more than enough raw power to perform and people still pay out the nose for it (probably not the best comparison, but you get the point).

yeah seriously; "primitive" is a stick and a piece of animal skin.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    yeah seriously; "primitive" is a stick and a piece of animal skin.
    18 years in the bizznizz of playing awsome beats that way.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast