Audio amplitude - help!!!!!!
    Tech Wizard

Exclamation Audio amplitude - help!!!!!!

Hello guys,

I am not a pro mastering audio however I have been producing for almost 2 year and a half (short time but I am working very hard).
    My latest question is:

how should an audio amplitude "appear"? When I analyse one of my track with AUDITION (in my opinion) it isn't bad, "no distortions or low distortions". Comparing it with other track in AUDITION I always see that other tracks go over 0 db.

NOW

Comparing tracks in TRAKTOR seems that my track isn't "big" as the other! I don't think it is a problem, but i want some opinions and little explanation.

I am happy with my mastering overall. However my brain is stuck on the amplitude, so I hope that someone can help me solving this doubt.

Here is one of my lastest tune:
    http://soundcloud.com/calvincampbell...d-original-mix

Screenshot audio amplitude of the linked tune
    Spectrum.jpg

ps: when i use the maximizer I never let it be able to limit my track. Another stupid thing I do?

Tech Wizard

Sure, I'll send you another track (same genre, same problems) because the one above is strictly personal.

Here is the link!!
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/oxwqod

Quote Originally Posted by Cameluntu View Post
    Sure, I'll send you another track (same genre, same problems) because the one above is strictly personal.

Here is the link!!
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/oxwqod
    If you want similar sounding tracks to whats on beatport etc, you will need to work on your mixdowns and mastering...

or send it off to get mastered

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by benjackal View Post
    If you want similar sounding tracks to whats on beatport etc, you will need to work on your mixdowns and mastering...

or send it off to get mastered
    Sure, and i do...however they still are not sounding loud (i know how to boost them but then i get some distortions..so what is the good deal? Less room, more loud and distortion or good room, not so loud but no distortion at all?)

It's been a while since I've looked at or heard a pop song that didn't distort. Dance is sometimes different.

Basically…you can't make it sound/look as loud as released tracks without playing the loudness war.

When you're DJing, it's not a huge deal…just use your gains to make the perceived levels similar and play quiet enough that your tracks can be boosted enough to compete (and know that mixers aren't supposed to make things loud).

When you're releasing things…limit them. With what I've done (bootleg remixes & edits ; occasional original stuff) it seems like limiting up to a few dB of gain reduction and no intersample modulation distortion gives the best results…but I haven't tried to get stuff released yet and also don't peg my DJ mixer's channels when playing.