Looking for some small powered speakers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Looking for some small powered speakers

Hi, I’m looking for some small powered speakers for party’s bout 20 people outside, budget is about £130 for a pair. been looking around a bit and all i could really find with good reviews was Numark NPM5 Stereo Speaker System, anyone know what they are like or can suggest anything better in my price range I play a lot of bass music and would always go for quality over loudness. (I do have a sub which could be hocked up to them as well)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
    Hi, I’m looking for some small powered speakers for party’s bout 20 people outside, budget is about £130 for a pair. been looking around a bit and all i could really find with good reviews was Numark NPM5 Stereo Speaker System, anyone know what they are like or can suggest anything better in my price range I play a lot of bass music and would always go for quality over loudness. (I do have a sub which could be hocked up to them as well)

Thanks
    Quality is important, but if you're interested in getting people to dance, loudness is important too.

Those speakers are rated at 20 watts each. If you're "outside" and have "20 people" you won't even hear those things, especially if everyone is talking.

You're better off getting the Numark NPM100 or maybe two of them. Aside from that I'd say spend your money on a rental. You won't get much for that price that'll be good enough for an outdoor party for 20 people.

Tech Wizard

Ok thanks for that man, just what I needed to hear. Will look into a 2nd hand pair of NPM100’s. Any other budget speakers you would recommend for that same set up?
    Thanks again.

You could try Behringer powered speakers (12' or 15'), or the Mackie TH12a, or TH15a Thump. In North America they sell for a little over $300, but I'm not sure what they would go for in the UK.

see if you can find these on sale somewhere: (LOOK AT THE REVIEWS IN THERE)

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-...9258146&sr=8-1

or these: (If you can find them. My friend got a pair on clearance for $39 each)

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AM2...sr=1-1-catcorr

BTW I have ONE Polk Hitmaster and I have played for a 20 person party outside. It worked well. It was not a dance party. Just a BBQ. But it was adequate. Here's a DJ tip that I cannot stress enough: If you are DJing with an underpowered system do not fight the crowd. Start low and slowly monitor the crowd and rise with them. If they rise above, you do not keep turning it up, instead turn it down. At first it will seem illogical, but psychologically they will respond by leveling down to hear the music. Most people don't want their conversations to be broadcasted throughout the party. Try it and see. You have nothing to lose. Except distortion

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

see if you can find these on sale somewhere: (LOOK AT THE REVIEWS IN THERE)
    http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-...9258146&sr=8-1
    or these: (If you can find them. My friend got a pair on clearance for $39 each)
    http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AM2...sr=1-1-catcorr
    • Compatible with Playstation 2 and 3, XBOX 360, Wii
    • 40 watts continuous power (THIS MEANS JACK SHIT!)
    • Controls include, Power, Volume, Speaker configuration
    • Pro Type Grill and Corner guards
    • Handel for transport

Dude ...

He's looking to play at parties - not play a video game, both systems you mentioned are a complete waste of money in mid/long term and are nothing more than hi-fi speakers in a "pro-looking" box so that it looks cool when playing guitar hero or whatever in your bedroom.

I wouldn't bother with the Numarks either though and would probably look towards something like a used set of Bose 201's or 12' Jamo's + separate Amp if you think its something you'll do regularly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bose-201-Ser...#ht_1243wt_748

I mention the 201's because they are particularly easy to drive even and sound decent even with a pretty small amp (Even a 20watt T-amp for $30 gives a decent wallop) .. but any S/H hi-fi separate amp would do the trick in a pinch.

If you think that you'll at any point be cranking up the sound - rent a PA rig for 30 or 40 bucks, seriously.

...Or maybe you should just pony up for a mid-priced powered loudspeaker. You can always sell it, and like the deevey said, if you plan on doing it regularly, it'll make a world of difference.

Check out my "help me pick a powered speaker" thread.

@ deevey Those Polk's ain't no joke. Read the reviews. They are engineered and driver matched with Class-D (T-AMP) technology. Read the reviews before you decide to cut them down.

Tech Wizard

Cheers for all the input on this thread. Good to see what people are using. I should of mentioned that size and weight is an issue hence ‘’small speakers’’ and I don’t want anything thing big and bulky as I’m working for a few months abroad and will need to take them home. I wouldn’t write off renting but it would be tricky where I ‘am and I also want my own set up.

The bose 201’s look like what I’m after if you think they could handle it. Dont really see manny 2nd hand Mackie Thumps. Any recommendations on T amp to get the max power out of the bose?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast